Neutral of a Y 3-ph 480V feeder to an outside piece of equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

JudithByerley

Have a 3 phase Y 480 Volts feeder from a switch gear inside building supply 3 phase power to an outside electrical furnace where there are no connection for a neutral or in other words the neutral will not be used as a conductor.

Do I need to run a 4th wire for the neutral from the switch gear to the outside building and tie to ground? Please help me to reference the appropriate section of the NEC?

Thank you.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If the equipment does not require the grounded (neutral) conductor, then there is no need to install it. You are required to provide an equipment grounding conductor to the equipment. Even if the equipment required a grounded conductor, you would not be permitted to tie it to "ground" at that location.

david

Have a 3 phase Y 480 Volts feeder from a switch gear inside building supply 3 phase power to an outside electrical furnace where there are no connection for a neutral or in other words the neutral will not be used as a conductor.

Do I need to run a 4th wire for the neutral from the switch gear to the outside building and tie to ground? Please help me to reference the appropriate section of the NEC?

Thank you.

what all is the building being used for.

david

what all is the building being used for.

there may be only one building but you said from the building to the outside equipment.
Then you said to the outside building.

It almost sounds like there is a building housing the outside furnace not sure just wanted to make sure if it is an outside building you are not supplying it with more than on feeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.