Ground Rod/Remote Sub Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Would a ground rod be required for an outdoor sub panel(120/240 1Phase 4W U/G feed)? I need to set this for some pond aeration equipment. 250.32(A) talks about buildings and structures, but can't find anything pertaining to this type of situation. I know rods are required for temporary services at construction sites, but this is permanent. It's not the cost factor, it's whether or not it's a code requirement. Thanks.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Would a ground rod be required for an outdoor sub panel(120/240 1Phase 4W U/G feed)? I need to set this for some pond aeration equipment. 250.32(A) talks about buildings and structures, but can't find anything pertaining to this type of situation. I know rods are required for temporary services at construction sites, but this is permanent. It's not the cost factor, it's whether or not it's a code requirement. Thanks.

In my view , no. But the subject of weather this is a "structure" has been debated here many times. I'm sure others will have a strong opinion.

iwire

Staff member
In my opinion yes, grounding electrode of some type required.

It hinges on what one considers a structure, here is the Article 100 definition of structure

Structure. That which is built or constructed.

In my opinion the supports for the panel were constructed.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
120/240V 1 phase 4 wire? Single phase 120/240 is only 3 wires... the EGC should not be included.

Ground rod not required, but you will likely have to install an equipotential plane. See 682.2 and 682.33 for more details.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
120/240V 1 phase 4 wire? Single phase 120/240 is only 3 wires... the EGC should not be included.

Ground rod not required, but you will likely have to install an equipotential plane. See 682.2 and 682.33 for more details.

Come on, you know he is including the EGC in the count.

As far as needing an electrode are you of the opinion the panel supports got there by magic?:p

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Come on, you know he is including the EGC in the count.
It's for his postings in the future. ;)

As far as needing an electrode are you of the opinion the panel supports got there by magic?:p
Nope.

Going by...

III. Grounding and Bonding

682.30 Grounding. Wiring and equipment within the scope
of this article shall be grounded as specified in Part III of 553,
555.15, and with the requirements in Part III of this article.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

The EGC is required by the sections that you've mentioned so why would you say that it shouldn't be included?

I agree about the ground rod not being required. Why install a rod when you have an equipotential plane. :)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Smart was just nit picking the OP about calling a 120/240 circuit 4W. He knows that an EGC is needed.

It is like when somebody says #12 3W NM, when he/she means 12-2 w/ground.

I would agree if the OP said he was using a cable for the feeder. :)

If he's using PVC and you require 4 conductors would you still call it a 3 wire?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I would agree if the OP said he was using a cable for the feeder. :)

If he's using PVC and you require 4 conductors would you still call it a 3 wire?
System type or circuit wiring does not include the EGC in the number of "wires". :eek:hmy:

Cord spec' or conduit fill is another matter...

Status
Not open for further replies.