What would you accept...

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallfish

What would you accept if as electrical inspector when inspecting the branch circuit run for a commercial kitchen hood and found that in the panel the circuit is supplied from, no dead front cover for protection?

The panel is surface-mount with an exterior cover that has a working panel door. The contractor said the dead front was missing when he began work. The panel appears old and has circuit breakers. The working space in front was narrow but copper buss was visible inside-a sure shocker.

Would you accept a drilled and tapped hole for hasp and lock and warning labels? Or is there somewhere that sells dead front covers? Other suggestions?

Thanks

Smart $

Esteemed Member
What would you accept if as electrical inspector when inspecting the branch circuit run for a commercial kitchen hood and found that in the panel the circuit is supplied from, no dead front cover for protection?

The panel is surface-mount with an exterior cover that has a working panel door. The contractor said the dead front was missing when he began work. The panel appears old and has circuit breakers. The working space in front was narrow but copper buss was visible inside-a sure shocker.

Would you accept a drilled and tapped hole for hasp and lock and warning labels? Or is there somewhere that sells dead front covers? Other suggestions?

Thanks
Well, not being an electrical inspector, past or present, it's somewhat difficult to say what I'd accept... but I can say I would likely not accept any means for locking the cover door, labels or not. If an OEM dead front cannot be purchased (no longer manufactured or stocked anywhere, not available on eBay, options reasonably exhausted other than replacing panel), I would accept a custom fabricated dead front.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Are you the inspector, and are you trying to gig the EC for the panel violation?

I would say it's not the contractor's responsibility to fix the panel. It's the owner's, and I have seen many bars with panels as described and worse.

As for what you would accept, that's a tough one. I know of one panel with no front that got passed for years until the inspector said to fix it or not use it. We ended up putting in a new panel.

If the OP's panel is in decent shape and all it needs is a front, I would start by posting the make and model. One of us may have one laying around. If it's a dead front like on a SQD Homeline, with the springs and all, that may be a tough one to make cheaper than putting in a new panel.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Are you the inspector, and are you trying to gig the EC for the panel violation?

I would say it's not the contractor's responsibility to fix the panel. It's the owner's, and I have seen many bars with panels as described and worse.

I agree it's the owner's resosibility to get it fixed. Red tagging will force the issue, and is entirely within the scope of inspecting the job if the contractor tied into this existing panel.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I would tag it and suggest you find a metal shop to make a new one.

Yeah, that's the answer, Sometimes you just need to make sense..... Have a cover made, call me and I'll remove the tag.

north star

~

petersonra: "why is this even at issue? get it fixed one way or the other"
Because, ...some contractors have been known to call
the "powers-that-be" and tickle their ears about
revenue streams, ...business costs, ...your inspector is
hasseling me, ...I'm just a po' working man trying to
earn a living and on and on and on.

~

Last edited:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
~

Because, ...some contractors have been known to call
the "powers-that-be" and tickle their ears about
revenue streams, ...business costs, ...your inspector is
hasseling me, ...I'm just a po' working man trying to
earn a living and on and on and on.

~

Why should I have to fix it? It was like that when I got here. I know I ran a new circuit to it knowing it was a non compliant panel, but still.:roll:

Wilg

Commercial kitchen, lots of hands could be in that panel. Mostly un-trained hands that shouldn't go flipping breakers. Got to find a dead front or a good metal guy.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.