electric car meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

normbac

I have a client we set up a 50 amp recep for her all electric car. She got her first electric bill and apparently it was 500.00 higher than normal. :rant: The poco said she could install a seperate
meter strictly for the car and they would give a lower rate usage on that meter. Question is if I install a meter can next to the main existing metered panel would I need a seperate GEC for it TIA

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
She gets a lower rate until the state realizes she isn't paying road (gasoline) taxes. Then they want a separate meter so they can charge cars more....

How do you plan to wire from the second meter, and are the Service conductors being increase in size? You may or may not need a separate GEC. Ever done a dual panel 400A service? This is similar, as are the pit falls (e.g. grouped service disconnects, 6 handle limit, 2nd panel disconnect must be SUSE). If the neutral feeding the panel from the second meter is sized per 250.66 for the whole service, I'd argue you don't need another GEC.

Last edited:

normbac

She gets a lower rate until the state realizes she isn't paying road (gasoline) taxes. Then they want a separate meter so they can charge cars more....

How do you plan to wire from the second meter, and are the Service conductors being increase in size? You may or may not need a separate GEC. Ever done a dual panel 400A service? This is similar, as are the pit falls (e.g. grouped service disconnects, 6 handle limit, 2nd panel disconnect must be SUSE). If the neutral feeding the panel from the second meter is sized per 250.66 for the whole service, I'd argue you don't need another GEC.

I was thinking I could just take the 50 amp cb and feed the meter and then load the car recep 240 in 240 out would a egc be sufficient or is a neutral needed for code

She got her first electric bill and apparently it was 500.00 higher than normal.

(I'm making some wild assumptions here. Please correct as needed.)

What kind of car- hybrid plugin or full electric? A Tesla S has a 10KW charger but the notes say the battery capacity is over 80KWh. The hybrids have smaller batteries.

At $0.25/kwh, $500 would be 2MW. Figured as 500/30 days = $16/day, which would be 64kwh. How much did she not spend on gas? How much did she drive? (My daily commute costs me almost $8 in gas for the car- 60 miles * 32 mpg.)

Since I'm having fun researching things, a gallon of gas (~~$4 around here) = 33.4 KWh (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_gallon_equivalent). Working that back, 2000KWh is about 60 gallons of gas.

normbac

(I'm making some wild assumptions here. Please correct as needed.)

What kind of car- hybrid plugin or full electric? A Tesla S has a 10KW charger but the notes say the battery capacity is over 80KWh. The hybrids have smaller batteries.

At $0.25/kwh, $500 would be 2MW. Figured as 500/30 days = $16/day, which would be 64kwh. How much did she not spend on gas? How much did she drive? (My daily commute costs me almost $8 in gas for the car- 60 miles * 32 mpg.)

Since I'm having fun researching things, a gallon of gas (~~$4 around here) = 33.4 KWh (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_gallon_equivalent). Working that back, 2000KWh is about 60 gallons of gas.

It is a tesla all electric she could be exagerating? poco told her she would get .09 kw

mcnut

I was thinking I could just take the 50 amp cb and feed the meter and then load the car recep 240 in 240 out would a egc be sufficient or is a neutral needed for code

I don't think she will save any money if the new meter is on the load side of the existing meter...am I reading that wrong?

bobbymari

We just did exact same install for a tesla. Seperate meter from so cal edison. No you do not feed meter from load side of existing. Install next to existing and treat it as a service. Riser, se conductors and grounding i/e ground rod and cold water within 5' of entering the building. Wire to the service drop above the roof along with the existing service just as you would if you were putting in a multi meter pack with a commercial meter next to it for the house meter.
Check with local ahj if they want two seperate ground rods as this local did. Weve now got in the practice of just installing 2 rods for services since alot of ahjs are now asking for them

Go 100 amp all in one so you can add another run to it when they buy theie 2nd tesla;)

Last edited:

normbac

We just did exact same install for a tesla. Seperate meter from so cal edison. No you do not feed meter from load side of existing. Install next to existing and treat it as a service. Riser, se conductors and grounding i/e ground rod and cold water within 5' of entering the building. Wire to the service drop above the roof along with the existing service just as you would if you were putting in a multi meter pack with a commercial meter next to it for the house meter.
Check with local ahj if they want two seperate ground rods as this local did. Weve now got in the practice of just installing 2 rods for services since alot of ahjs are now asking for them

Go 100 amp all in one so you can add another run to it when they buy theie 2nd tesla;)

Yeah 100 amp would be nice but SCE knows you would be adding A/C unit to it so they only permit meter can only:happysad:

normbac

if you have a seperate car meter im sure they do field reads to make sure thats whats on it, what area are you in? this was in glendale

Whittier and since the rate is lowered to .09 per kwh I assumed they would not allow second metered panel. Normally you need two addresses on property to have two meters.

Status
Not open for further replies.