Elevator shunt trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgelectric

How does this set up work?
Elevator guys states I do not need a fused disconnect with aux contacts for shunt trip as there is already a disconnect inside the elevator controller.
Heats are not required in the shaft due to local codes (no sprinkler heads inside the shaft)
How exactly does the shunt trip get activated? ( it is a 120v shunt)

jewellfish

Shunt trip requirements are only required if there is a sprinkler head in the machine room, TOS or pit, generally speaking. No sprinkler heads, no requirement.

nhfire77

As stated above a shunt isn't needed without sprinkler, in general. Since you have local ammendments, I'm guessing they require one? Might want to check

A relay module is employed, it would close on a mapped alarm condition. The module will have requiements for a manfacturer specific plate to separate line voltage and the SLC. Again just an assumption that it's needed.

bgelectric

There is no machine room.
The elevator controller is in the elevator shaft at the top level facing inside the shaft.
There are no sprinkler heads inside the shaft so no heats or smokes will be installed.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
There is no machine room.
The elevator controller is in the elevator shaft at the top level facing inside the shaft.
There are no sprinkler heads inside the shaft so no heats or smokes will be installed.

No heats, no smokes -> no shunt, unless amended locally.

JohnCA

as stated before no heat no shunt trip, however if required by local codes then the shunt trip gets activated by supplying 120 Volts to the Breaker (Shunt Trip) so basically wire your relay with normally open contact between the 120V power source and the shunt trip but if there is no heat I do not know what device shall trigger the relay.

John,
My journey Towards Nicet and PE Certification

bgelectric

as stated before no heat no shunt trip, however if required by local codes then the shunt trip gets activated by supplying 120 Volts to the Breaker (Shunt Trip) so basically wire your relay with normally open contact between the 120V power source and the shunt trip but if there is no heat I do not know what device shall trigger the relay.

John,
My journey Towne shuards Nicet and PE Certification

Im not sure what would trip the shunt either.
There is a fused siconnect shown on the drawings which has aux contacts to trip the breaker. Although the elevator techs say I dont need that disconnect since the elevator controller already has an integral disconnect.
So I dont believe a shunt trip is required.

olc

In general the inspectors around here are looking for the fused disconnect in machine room (fused regardless of the feeder circuit breaker).
The contact is for emergency lowering of the elevator (though I have never had a straight answer on when it is required and how it works). It has nothing to do with the shunt trip (in my experience).
Shunt trip required only if sprinkler in the shaft or machine room.
I've seen a few traction type. Some have disconnects in an adjacent control room. They should still have a disconnect at the motor. I have not heard of one with an integral disconnect. You may still need a fused disconnect.
If the shaft has a sprinkler, shut down would still have to work the same way.
The above is my undertsanding. If I am missing something (or incorrect) please chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.