Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

slect

Could someone recommend a a good basic software package that does load calcs, panel schedules, and one line diagrams for basic residential and light commercial projects ?
Thank you in advance. If this is an old question and has already been addresses please send link... Thanks

slect

Software

85 views and not one comment.. ouch... I went online and found a number of packages.. looking at Durand.. Service Pro 2011.. does load calcs up to 2 family..
Does panel schedules and line diagrams up to 3 sub-panels.. inexpensive and simple..
I usually do all of the above by hand.. templates and calculator.. this is a lot faster and neater.. any other programs I should look at ? or does everyone just use their own spreadsheet and drawings.. ? Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Maybe none of us know of a system that does what you want. I created my own and use some of the online calcs. I also setup my own panel schedule with Word. Most normal people use excel since it is easier-:D

You won't want REVIT. That is a highly expensive license to buy. I would've replied to you but I don't know of any good ones, I've always done my own. I can tell you that REVIT is way more expense than you need to put invested time into unless you are a big company.

JoeStillman

I don't know of a complete software package that does it all. Revit and AutoCAD AEC electrical have a lot of plan-related design tools, but the price is quite high (multiple kilo-bucks) and you still can't do everything you need to with them.

I use AutoCAD LT, available for around $1k, plus Microsoft Excel. You can embed portions of a spreadsheet into AutoCAD drawings for panel schedules and fixture schedules. The AutoCAD "tables" are not well suited to automatic calculations. We have customized the tool pallettes in ACADLT with all of our plan and SLD symbols. We have templates for smoke detector coverage, strobe coverage and occ sensor coverages that help a lot with designing a layout.

I use spreadsheets for conduit sizing, voltage drops, solar panel ampacity deratings, service calcs and anything where you need to add up a column of numbers. For short circuits, TCC and arc-flash I use SKM power tools, but the learning curve on that is steep and you shoudn't use it unless you are a PE or work for one.

The best computer you have is inside your head. I think everyone in our business ought to memorize the 75 degree copper column of table 310.15(B)(16). I have worked on memorizing tables 250.66 and 250.122, but I'm not there yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.