Home run in Revit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
A homerun can be one neutral and phase conductor run back to the panel.
Correct.

A homerun is one conduit or cable between first outlet (or junction box*) and the supplying panel.

*Some designers disregard junction boxes.

Whether Revit handles a home run this way...???

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Heck I don't even know what Revit is so I am just talking nomenclature.

Just to clarify what smart said. It is one conduit but it may have more than one set of home runs in it. I would call each circuit a home run.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Correct.

A homerun is one conduit or cable between first outlet (or junction box*) and the supplying panel.

*Some designers disregard junction boxes.

Whether Revit handles a home run this way...???
Unlike an electrician, the drawing/planning/etc. program Revit only considers it a home run if there is more than one explicitly indicated outlet or device. And it apparently puts in arrows (toward the panel?) to indicate which side of the wiring is the source.

I am simply explaining to him the way I explain to the architectural engineering students here at K-State as to what a home run is. Although you are both technically correct, Revit recognizes home runs as multiple circuits before altering the preset on the program. I just figured with what he was asking I would cut through the grey matter.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Heck I don't even know what Revit is so I am just talking nomenclature.
Computer-aided drafting software that creates models in three dimensions and that stores information in a database for each component in the entire model. If I put a motor in a room, Revit will ask me to give it the motor hp, voltage, FLA, power source, and a host of other information. Around my office, at least, the architects tend to love this program, the MEs tend to accept it begrudgingly, and EEs tend to hate it.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Just to touch all the bases, I've laways considered the home-run to be the bit of wire or raceway between the panel and the first device.
And to go along with that, "wiring both outlets on a branch as home runs" would be to bring each back directly to the panel instead of chaining them together.

I assume I should take this verbal flogging with an open mind. I simply tried to skip explaining the concept of a home run in our eyes according to trade vernacular, based on the fact that the program is a pain and most avoid it like the plague. I'll make sure I split the answer into multiple parts next time for clarification.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
I assume I should take this verbal flogging with an open mind. I simply tried to skip explaining the concept of a home run in our eyes according to trade vernacular, based on the fact that the program is a pain and most avoid it like the plague. I'll make sure I split the answer into multiple parts next time for clarification.
And please be sure to number the parts. :)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I don't see where anyone is giving you a verbal flogging. I accept your explanation for what it is, both initially and with subsequent elaboration. The term "home run" is slang to begin with.

I only surmise the meaning... as can everyone but the person that first coined the term. In my mind, the original concept was a convergence of end point wiring to a convenient location so as to make one run back to the supplying panel when there was relatively substantial distance between the convergence point and the panel... with a savings in manhours, materials, or any combination of both. This would actually preclude individual circuits being run the distance individually. Ultimately, there is no technical definition of "home run".

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
how would you achieve this?

Insert a receptacle or anything with an electrical connector. Select the receptacle, click "create power circuit", enter any important details, and select a panel to circuit from.

Then, to draw the actual home run, i usually just select "create a wire", click on the receptacle, and click anywhere in a blank area (as opposed to clicking on anoher device). Revit knows you want a home run, and draws an arrow on the end of the wire.

Now you can put a home run tag on the wire, and the panel and circuit number will show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.