480V to 120V receptacle power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jps1006

We have a project that is looking to put general duty 120-volt receptacles peppered throughout a field starting roughly 750' from a 480-volt source, then continuing for another 300-400 ft. Is anyone aware of an all-in-one 480 to 120 2-5KVA unit that I could feed with 480-volt at each location, with built-in transformer, disconnect and GFI to get 120-volt receptacle power?

The engineer has spec.'d #2 to the 120-volt 20-amp GFI locations fed form a 480 - 120/208 transformer in the field. We estimate we could do this in #10 if we could put smaller transformers at the point of use. I imagine this is a common problem with distances on sprawling sites.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I have used Sq D Mini Power Zones - primary, transformer, secondary panel all in one post mountable enclosure, NEMA 3R. Seems like smallest is a 5 KW. With 5 KW you have some room for other loads

Jps1006

Thanks guys. We looked into it and the cost savings just aren't there. We are staying with one large transformer and over-sized cables everywhere.

masterinbama

I have used some smaller units for single receptacles tapped ahead of rooftop unit disconnects. They were listed for that application but I can't remember if there were any other listings.

Status
Not open for further replies.