Service vs Service Entrance Conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

yesterlectric

Occupation
Electrician
Hello,

I am getting back into other types of electrical work after spending much time working in an industrial electrical construction environment where much of the work I did was pre-engineered. I understand there were a few changes to the 2011 NEC with regards to definitions of service related conductors.

There is now a definition for service conductors and service entrance conductors. Below:

[h=3]Service conductors, overhead[/h] Overhead conductors between the service point and the first point of connection to the service-entrance conductors at the building/structure (Fig. 3).

103ecmCBfig3.gif
Fig. 3. The NEC now clearly defines both overhead and underground service conductors."><b>Fig. 3.</b> The NEC now clearly defines both overhead and underground service conductors.

[h=3]Service-entrance conductors, overhead system[/h]The conductors between the terminals of service equipment and service drop or overhead service conductors.[h=3]Service conductors, underground[/h] Underground conductors between the service point and the first point of connection to the service-entrance conductors in a terminal box, meter, or other enclosure, inside or outside the building wall (Fig. 4).

103ecmCBfig4.gif
Fig. 4. The NEC defines underground service conductors as those between the service point and the first point of connection to the service-entrance conductors in a terminal box, meter, or other enclosure, inside or outside the building wall."><b>Fig. 4.</b> The NEC defines underground service conductors as those between the service point and the first point of connection to the service-entrance conductors in a terminal box, meter, or other enclosure, inside or outside the building wall.

[h=3]Service-entrance conductors, underground system[/h] The conductors between the terminals of service equipment and service lateral or underground service conductors.

[h=3]Service point[/h] [Art. 230]. The point where the electrical utility conductors make contact with premises wiring.

As shown in the example in the NEC 2011 official handbook, the service point in a system can be a point specified at the utility, possibly at a set distance from the premises. Furthermore, the service point could consist of a simple splice point. In many of these cases, there would be no need for a separate splice point to distinguish between the service conductors and service entrance conductors (either above ground or underground). Therefore, the differentiation between the two could become difficult. This is especially true in underground installations, where there may not be a clearly defined drip loop or service mast. It would seem that in these cases, the wires connecting to the meter (or service equipment) could all be considered service conductors, rather than service entrance conductors.

Could this consideration cause any conflicts with code compliance?

* Note: I recognise in most circumstances, this is not a concern. Often, the service point is at the meter.

iwire

Staff member
I can't think of a single case that there would not be a splice or termination at the service point. Can you describe one?

yesterlectric

Occupation
Electrician
I can't think of a single case that there would not be a splice or termination at the service point. Can you describe one?
I really can't think of any at this point, but the examples I posted are reflective of the examples from the official NEC Handbook (published by NFPA).

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I really can't think of any at this point, but the examples I posted are reflective of the examples from the official NEC Handbook (published by NFPA).
In reading your original post and this one, I'm not really sure what you are asking.

Of course the service point affects compliance. The equipment on the utility side of the service point is not subject to NEC compliance. Everything on the consumer side is, so the definitions only apply to the consumer side.

Status
Not open for further replies.