Retractable Cord

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

I have a client who wants to have receptacles installed in the back of her vanity drawers so she can plug in hair dryer/curling iron. The drawer pulls out almost 24". I am having issues finding a product that would let out SO cord (or similar product) and then retract the cord when she closes the drawer so it doesn't pinch on itself. Anybody done this before or have any ideas?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have a client who wants to have receptacles installed in the back of her vanity drawers so she can plug in hair dryer/curling iron. The drawer pulls out almost 24". I am having issues finding a product that would let out SO cord (or similar product) and then retract the cord when she closes the drawer so it doesn't pinch on itself. Anybody done this before or have any ideas?

A couple of pulleys (one attached just under the counter top behind the drawer, the other riding on the vertical loop of cord and holding a weight) might do the job.
But the whole idea of installing a movable receptacle supplied by a flexible cord inside a piece of residential furniture makes me very nervous. Do others feel that way too?

How about for safety also putting in a roller switch that disconnects power to the receptacle when the drawer is not (fully?) open?

Rewire

A GFCI protected outlet is installed diectly behind the drawer the cabinet maker then shortens th drawer by 2 inches allowing another outlet to be installed in the back of the drawer with an SO cord plugged into the permenant outlet.

laketime

So you pull out the drawer, the SO comes forward with the drawer then what retracts the cord when she closes it?

iwire

Staff member
So you pull out the drawer, the SO comes forward with the drawer then what retracts the cord when she closes it?

Gravity.

Hook the cord to the rear side of the drawer and hook the other end to the side of the cabinet in the middle of the range of travel so the cord would have the most slack hanging when the drawer is in the midpoint of travel.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Gravity.

Hook the cord to the rear side of the drawer and hook the other end to the side of the cabinet in the middle of the range of travel so the cord would have the most slack hanging when the drawer is in the midpoint of travel.

Would you be concerned about what happens when you open and close drawers below the electrified one?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
It realy depends on how it was constructed, I picture the cord hanging beside the drawers.

You can get drawers that are full width with the roller tracks mounted on the side walls of the space (no place for the cord to go) or you can get drawers with roller tracks mounted on standoffs away from the side walls (perfect, since it would keep the cord off to the side).
I would not expect to see drawers with just a center track (and free space on either side) in high-end cabinets. Well, maybe for small drawers.

Rewire

The ones I have seen the cord goes to the back of the drawers. A dowel rod is placed at the back of the cabinet that the cord slides over the wieght of the cord is what pulls it back as the drawer is closed.

wbsteve

I haven't done one in years but what we would is put a horizontal receptacle in the back of the vanity in the space between two drawers. Those were cookie cutter houses with the optional hair dryer outlet.

kwired

Electron manager
I still prefer to explain to them there is less risk of house burning down if they unplug those appliances when not in use, even if it is a pretty small risk.

I also see the use of a flexible cord here as prohibited to be used as permanent wiring - even if it is debatable that it is necessary for flexibility, this is in a location where nobody will ever see what condition it is in if it should deteriorate.

Rewire

I still prefer to explain to them there is less risk of house burning down if they unplug those appliances when not in use, even if it is a pretty small risk.

I also see the use of a flexible cord here as prohibited to be used as permanent wiring - even if it is debatable that it is necessary for flexibility, this is in a location where nobody will ever see what condition it is in if it should deteriorate.

why would you tell a customer something that has about a billion to one chance? You are more likely to have a fire from a fridge. You use a cord and plug from the drawer to a perminate GFI receptacle mounted behind the drawer so the cord is not "permanent ".

kwired

Electron manager
why would you tell a customer something that has about a billion to one chance? You are more likely to have a fire from a fridge. You use a cord and plug from the drawer to a perminate GFI receptacle mounted behind the drawer so the cord is not "permanent ".
Leaving a heat producing appliance plugged in while stored in the drawer doesn't increase the risk some?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
No. Everything that utilizes electricity produces heat.
Leaving it turned on while in the closed drawer is a horse of a different color.
If you blow the breaker running two hair dryers, don't just shove them back in their drawers (his and hers, of course) and then go reset the breaker. :)

Rewire

Leaving it turned on while in the closed drawer is a horse of a different color.
If you blow the breaker running two hair dryers, don't just shove them back in their drawers (his and hers, of course) and then go reset the breaker. :)

sounds like we have a submission for myth busters, can a hair dryer turned on in a drawer start a fire.

kwired

Electron manager
sounds like we have a submission for myth busters, can a hair dryer turned on in a drawer start a fire.

If there are combustible items in the drawer I don't see why not. A wooden drawer may eventually start burning, but may take a long time. The hair dryer likely has a high limit switch, but is also likely automatic resetting.

You think there is no risk at all with a heat producing device in an enclosed space to start something on fire?

I don't claim to know many other peoples habits in this area, but I have seen a fair share of cosmetics and beauty products all crammed into such a drawer. Some of them are flammable products.

Status
Not open for further replies.