Business Owners

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Business Owners

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

growler

I voted for the 100K and other benifits but the situation has changed over the years.

With the economy being what it is and not seeing much hope for change in the future if anyone can find a good solid company to work for that pays well then I say go for it. I have seen many small companies go out of business in the last 5 years (even some of the bigger ones ).

One thing to remember is that 100K+ is better money here than it may be in some other states.

mstrlucky74

I voted for the 100K and other benifits but the situation has changed over the years.

With the economy being what it is and not seeing much hope for change in the future if anyone can find a good solid company to work for that pays well then I say go for it. I have seen many small companies go out of business in the last 5 years (even some of the bigger ones ).

One thing to remember is that 100K+ is better money here than it may be in some other states.

Yeah, your right. That 100k is all relative to where you live. $100k in NYC/NJ area is a lot differen than $100k in South Dakota

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
IMHO, once you get into that 6 figure area they have you by the short hairs. I'd rather have my freedom

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What freedom? I have close to 400 hundred bosses a year and I've been up since 2:30 working. Except to an hour nap.

My thoughts are split about the same as the poll result. Any give day could see me swing one way or the other.
Sounds like you're at that point where you need your own employee. As long as you're not swinging with a noose around your neck you're ahead of the game. Just my opinion but I'd rather make a few $$ less and be sane than work for a someone who's pocketing most of the $$ while I'm out breaking my butt to make him rich. Did that for 30+ years until I decided to open my own business. Yes, there are headaches in every line of work but I'm the one making the bank deposits (when my customers pay me, that is).

BTW, what would you consider a solid company ? Someone like Lehman Brothers, J.P Morgan-Chase, Enron ? All "too big to fail" companies can drop like flies if they get in over their heads.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
$100K plus benefits (about $50K) in metro NYC isn't too bad for zero headaches. Leave Friday at 3:30 don't think about the job again until 7 am Monday morning. Add on 5 weeks paid vacation, retire with defined pension plan. Being your own boss would put you in the 200K yearly profit range just to break even and possibly make it worth the aggravation.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
$100K plus benefits (about $50K) in metro NYC isn't too bad for zero headaches. Leave Friday at 3:30 don't think about the job again until 7 am Monday morning. Add on 5 weeks paid vacation, retire with defined pension plan. Being your own boss would put you in the 200K yearly profit range just to break even and possibly make it worth the aggravation.
You make it sound really great but in reality you know as well as I do that those kinds of cushy jobs don't exist. What really happens is that you just get yourself settled in, feel comfortable with your position, you buy a house, a new car, have 2 kids and a mortgage and one day the boss calls you in and says "We're downsizing - your position is no longer available !!!". Now you have to go out and try to find one of those nice cushy $100K jobs just like the one you just lost. I'd rather pave my own path, even if I'm not making $200K (at least not this year :).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

You make it sound really great but in reality you know as well as I do that those kinds of cushy jobs don't exist. What really happens is that you just get yourself settled in, feel comfortable with your position, you buy a house, a new car, have 2 kids and a mortgage and one day the boss calls you in and says "We're downsizing - your position is no longer available !!!". Now you have to go out and try to find one of those nice cushy $100K jobs just like the one you just lost. I'd rather pave my own path, even if I'm not making $200K (at least not this year :).

I was merely answering the question set forth by Mstlucky. Since the OP's question was about jobs paying 100K with benefits I assumed that he wasn't asking about a $15/hour Romex slinger. Just as with any job there's always the possibility of the bottom falling out. I would disagree with your assumption that these high paying jobs don't exist. There are thousands of these jobs in the NYC metro area some paying well above $100K. So the question is if you had one of these jobs would you rather be in your own business?

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I was merely answering the question set forth by Mstlucky. Since the OP's question was about jobs paying 100K with benefits I assumed that he wasn't asking about a $15/hour Romex slinger. Just as with any job there's always the possibility of the bottom falling out. I would disagree with your assumption that these high paying jobs don't exist. There are thousands of these jobs in the NYC metro area some paying well above $100K. So the question is if you had one of these jobs would you rather be in your own business?
Yeah, I think I still would because I don't believe they're as glorified as you've made them sound (based on my experience anyway). As I mentioned, once you get to that $100K + level they have you by the short hairs. I never grew to like that feeling and I don't have the defense mechanism in my personality to deal with it.

Rewire

Alot depends on what your goals are . If you are happy being a worker bee then a 100K job with bennies would be a dream job . If your goa is to own your own business then working for someone else despite the monetary incentive would not be enough to give up. As a business owner financial freedom is on my list but it is not at the top.

ceknight

Need the flexibility in my schedule.

When I started my business a quarter of a century ago I needed the flexibility. Now I want the flexibility.

As I get older and pudgier with middle age, there are times that I'll daydream about one of those $100K jobs with benefits. But that's really what it is, a daydream. The simple truth is that I'm not fit to be someone's employee, and probably never will be. So I'll toil on with my 2-bit business and take time off for fishing trips and grandkids pretty much any time I feel the need, on short notice.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
When I started my business a quarter of a century ago I needed the flexibility. Now I want the flexibility.

As I get older and pudgier with middle age, there are times that I'll daydream about one of those $100K jobs with benefits. But that's really what it is, a daydream. The simple truth is that I'm not fit to be someone's employee, and probably never will be. So I'll toil on with my 2-bit business and take time off for fishing trips and grandkids pretty much any time I feel the need, on short notice.
That pretty much sums it up for me as well (except the pugdier part). :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.