Location of photovoltaic disconnecting means

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo1

The exception to 690.14 (C)(1) states installations that comply with 690.31(E) shall be permitted to have the disconnecting means located remote from the point of entry of the system conductors. (I have a commercial customer that wants the PV disconnect by the array (about 100 feet away) versus on their new building wall at the point of entry of the PV conductors which will end on an 80 AMP CB inside an existing 400 AMP panelboard - load-side connection using the 120% rule.)

I am not sure that 690.31(E) applies to my situation? 690.31(E) empathize DC PV connections(however, it also includes .."and output circuits inside a building"). I my configuration the PV conductors that enter the building, on their way to the 400AMP panelboard, will be AC as they are the output from the inverters at the array. I can put the PV AC conductors in continuous EMT from the outside building wall to the 400AMP panelboard and follow the other requirements of 690.31(E). Is 690.31(E) an acceptable exception for me to remotely locate the PV disconnect? The local Utility Company has given approval for the remote disconnect but I have not passed it by the local inspector, want to do my homework first.

Last edited:

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
690.31(E) is only meant to apply to DC conductors. Look at the definitions of "PV source" and "PV output" circuits in the first part of 690. Try not to refer to AC conductors as "PV" conductors when precision matters; simply refer to them as "inverter output" conductors. Your inverter output conductors should generally be able to follow the same rules as any other AC conductors.

Your AHJ may or may not be totally clear on this stuff, and might want to require you to have a disconnect where the conductors in question enter the building. But if it were me, I would probably submit plans without the additional disconnect at building entry and wait for him/her to bring it up. On the other hand, for a 100ft AC run, I would probably install an AC disconnect near the inverter for servicing purposes.

Last edited:

Leo1

690.31(E) is only meant to apply to DC conductors. Look at the definitions of "PV source" and "PV output" circuits in the first part of 690. Try not to refer to AC conductors as "PV" conductors when precision matters; simply refer to them as "inverter output" conductors. Your inverter output conductors should generally be able to follow the same rules as any other AC conductors.

Your AHJ may or may not be totally clear on this stuff, and might want to require you to have a disconnect where the conductors in question enter the building. But if it were me, I would probably submit plans without the additional disconnect at building entry and wait for him/her to bring it up. On the other hand, for a 100ft AC run, I would probably install an AC disconnect near the inverter for servicing purposes.

Thank you, agree on all points: a) because the local Utility provider is okay with the AC disconnect near the inverter versus on the building I will probably submit plans with this configuration, and state the contractor to provide the required labeling and remote disconnect placards and confirm the install is acceptable to the AHJ and Utility Provider, b) with the array 100 feet away I will show an AC disconnect at the array, c) the AHJ is not clear on these fine details [690.31(E) clearly starts with "DC conductors" but ends with "and Output Circuits" in the first sentence which frankly prompted my inquiry here] , and d) I am willing to honor the customer's request for no more electrical equipment on their new wall than absolutely necessary because the AC conductors will be installed in a metal raceway the entire route in the building and will be terminated in an OCPD in a panelboard less than a year old - overall I believe the install will be safe.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
c) the AHJ is not clear on these fine details [690.31(E) clearly starts with "DC conductors" but ends with "and Output Circuits" in the first sentence which frankly prompted my inquiry here...

Yes, that language is confusing, but if it's the section I am remembering, it's talking about the outputs of the combiner boxes, which are DC and inputs to the inverter.

SolarPro

Refer to the definitions in 690.2 as Jaggedben suggests. PV output circuits are defined as those circuit conductors between the PV source circuits and the inverter. In other words, the dc circuits downstream from the source circuit combiner box.

If you have questions (or if your AHJ does) RE: ac disconnects in PV systems, this SolarABCs report may be useful:

http://www.solarabcs.org/about/publications/reports/ued/pdfs/ABCS-05_studyreport.pdf

Leo1

Refer to the definitions in 690.2 as Jaggedben suggests. PV output circuits are defined as those circuit conductors between the PV source circuits and the inverter. In other words, the dc circuits downstream from the source circuit combiner box.

If you have questions (or if your AHJ does) RE: ac disconnects in PV systems, this SolarABCs report may be useful:

http://www.solarabcs.org/about/publications/reports/ued/pdfs/ABCS-05_studyreport.pdf

Good reports. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.