Lamps and the new energy code

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb58

A friend of mine just completed a new residential job and the inspector failed him on the final because of the standard incandescent lamps he installed. The inspector told him there must be at least 75% of the lamps that are energy efficient. So on his own dime he replaced the par lamps with CFL's in all of the can lighting which amounted to a little over the 75% requested. I am about to start a new construction home in about 2 months and there will be a lot of can lighting through out the house and the HO's wife has a stigmatism that requires her to need a lot of light. She hates CFL's and the budget is not there for LED's. But this got me thinking...... yea I know, are we as contractors by CODE required to install lamps in the fixtures? Now I know for practical proposes there are fixtures that require the lamp to be installed before globes and such are put on but those also require you to remove the globes and such for lamp replacement. As a last ditch effort we could install the CFL's and after CO change them out but the cost of 50 CFLs just to use for CO inspection seems a waste.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
A friend of mine just completed a new residential job and the inspector failed him on the final because of the standard incandescent lamps he installed. The inspector told him there must be at least 75% of the lamps that are energy efficient.

For the moment I believe that halogen bulbs and fixtures that use them are still considered energy efficient, so other than the cost (comparable to CFL but short life) that may be the best way to go. The homeowner would be able to replace the halogens with whatever they can still get when they burn out.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
I've seen the lighting energy code requirements for commercial work but never for residential.
Definitely there in residential for California. Enforced at building permit level, but not sure which code it comes from.
Has been there for at least 10 years for specific rooms such as kitchens and bathrooms.

geo4edu

Electrical Supervisor

Electrical Supervisor

I do not believe the NEC has a rule referencing the energy code. This could be in the local or state electrical code. Some AHJ's try to impose their own preferences as a code rule when it is not. Have you checked to see if that rule is infact published in the code in your jurisdiction?

RICK NAPIER

2012 International Energy Code
Chapter 4 - Residential Energy Efficiency

SECTION R404 ELECTRICAL POWER AND LIGHTING SYSTEMS (MANDATORY)

R404.1 Lighting equipment (Mandatory).
A minimum of 75 percent of the lamps in permanently installed lighting fixtures shall be high-efficacy lamps or a minimum of 75 percent of the permanently installed lighting fixtures shall contain only high efficacy lamps.

Exception:
Low-voltage lighting shall not be required to utilize high-efficiency lamps.

R404.1.1 Lighting equipment (Mandatory).

Fuel gas lighting systems shall not have continuously burning pilot lights.

2009 IEC was only 50%

Last edited:

ceb58

A minimum of 75 percent of the lamps in permanently installed lighting fixtures shall be high-efficacy lamps or a minimum of 75 percent of the permanently installed lighting fixtures shall contain only high efficacy lamps.

Exception:

2009 IEC was only 50%
Well that answers that. We are required to install lamps.

mwm1752

The energy code is a building code --An electrical installation being inspected per NEC shold not be able to be rejected for a building cde issue. -- The building final should be were the rubber meets the road IMO.

Exception: Low-voltage lighting shall not be required to utilize high-efficiency lamps. Recess lo volt are exempt/ Transformer fed luminaires are exempt. 75% of luminares that use line voltage lamping (usually incandescent lamps) must have high efficacy lamps (flourescent/LED) and part of the 75% count can be a flourescent fixtures

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I do not believe the NEC has a rule referencing the energy code. This could be in the local or state electrical code. Some AHJ's try to impose their own preferences as a code rule when it is not. Have you checked to see if that rule is infact published in the code in your jurisdiction?

The nec may not have a code referencing the energy code but we still must abide by it. The NEC does not mention smoke detectors either but we must still install them. Both of these issues are building code rules.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
The energy code is a building code --An electrical installation being inspected per NEC shold not be able to be rejected for a building cde issue.

But the electrical installation is actually being inspected under the building code, which happens to include the NEC by reference. Just because most of the cited violations come from there does not mean that is the only source.

Would you rather have the electrical inspection pass and the final occupancy be rejected forcing you to come back? True, you would not be the only one who could fix this particular violation.

BTW, last time I had my own house remodeled, the lamp type actually had to be called out on the plans, so the GC was ultimately responsible for telling the electrician what to do. :)

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Here we didn't adopt the IEC, we adopt the CEC (California Energy Code).

Other rooms. This applies only to rooms that are not kitchens, bathrooms, garages, laundry rooms, closets or utility rooms. All installed luminaires shall either be high efficacy or shall be controlled by a vacancy sensor or dimmer.

Exception:

2009 IEC was only 50%

Is this automatically adopted by any and all jurisdictions? Or is it "like" the NEC wherein each state adopts code cycles (or doesn't) at thier own speed?

kwired

Electron manager
The energy code is a building code --An electrical installation being inspected per NEC shold not be able to be rejected for a building cde issue. -- The building final should be were the rubber meets the road IMO.

Exception: Low-voltage lighting shall not be required to utilize high-efficiency lamps. Recess lo volt are exempt/ Transformer fed luminaires are exempt. 75% of luminares that use line voltage lamping (usually incandescent lamps) must have high efficacy lamps (flourescent/LED) and part of the 75% count can be a flourescent fixtures

Is this automatically adopted by any and all jurisdictions? Or is it "like" the NEC wherein each state adopts code cycles (or doesn't) at thier own speed?

Just like NEC this is a third party code and before it is a law it must be accepted by an AHJ as being the basis for their law - with possible amendments as they publish elsewhere.

I know of no such adoption of this energy code where I live, and not sure just who would enforce it if it were adopted. I do know it is not anything the State Electrical Division has anything to do with here, so it would have to be other building officials that would enforce it if it is a law. But in general this kind of topic has not become a hot issue with our lawmakers so I really doubt it has even ever had much consideration in legislation. Some other states (I won't mention California, Texas, New York, oops... I did anyway) with much higher population put much more priority on these kinds of issues and pass laws concerning these kinds of things, but they possibly have better reason to be concerned there than we have here.

ceb58

The nec may not have a code referencing the energy code but we still must abide by it. The NEC does not mention smoke detectors either but we must still install them. Both of these issues are building code rules.
Very true and where I am the inspector is multi- trade so he dose every thing from the footing inspection to issuing the CO. The NEC doesn't mention the size of the circuit for the sewage lift pump. I had a plumber leave me a message that I had to install a dedicated 20 amp circuit for the pump. I knew the plumber from several jobs and I ask him what made him think I had to run a 20 amp circuit. He said code required it. He knew where I was going with the conversation so he went to his truck and got his code book. In the NC mechanical code it plainly states it must be on a dedicated 20 amp circuit. I have always felt that we, as electricians, must know more of the codes than any of the other trades while making less $$$

jumper

Very true and where I am the inspector is multi- trade so he dose every thing from the footing inspection to issuing the CO. The NEC doesn't mention the size of the circuit for the sewage lift pump. I had a plumber leave me a message that I had to install a dedicated 20 amp circuit for the pump. I knew the plumber from several jobs and I ask him what made him think I had to run a 20 amp circuit. He said code required it. He knew where I was going with the conversation so he went to his truck and got his code book. In the NC mechanical code it plainly states it must be on a dedicated 20 amp circuit. I have always felt that we, as electricians, must know more of the codes than any of the other trades while making less $$$

IMO, true.

When I started this trade, I thought, okay-focus on the NEC, never anticipated getting into:

IRC
IBC
IMC
NFPA 13
NFPA 72
NFPA 101
NFPA 70B
NFPA 70E
NFPA 101
UL White book
ETC...............................................................................

PS. I still show people the R56 guide to really ram the point home. Gads, what a document!!!

RICK NAPIER

Here as I am sure in other jurisdictions the code sections are assigned specifically to the code official. The electrical inspector is responsible for sections of the IEC, IBC, IRC and the NEC.

mwm1752

Are you saying the Electrical Inspector should inspect building codes for an electrical install? I am not saying the good idea is to be vigilant with life safety efforts as in co/fa detector or ANSI standards, but the scope of the NEC does not give electrical inspectors the instructions to inspect building/energy codes & fail an inspection due to thier violations. Some juridictions may allow the EI to do so but in the true basis for NEC inspections they are out of bounds IMO. Fail the inspection with the proper final -- the IRC also covers the ,IPC,IMC,IFGC should the EC fail because the fireplace shutoff is over 6' from the appliance? Is this a random selection on which code applies to the electrical contractor. I will inform contractors of the issues at rough in and my situation may be unique due to the multiple types of inspections I perfrom but I try to limit the scope of inspection to its specific code.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Are you saying the Electrical Inspector should inspect building codes for an electrical install? I am not saying the good idea is to be vigilant with life safety efforts as in co/fa detector or ANSI standards, but the scope of the NEC does not give electrical inspectors the instructions to inspect building/energy codes & fail an inspection due to thier violations. Some juridictions may allow the EI to do so but in the true basis for NEC inspections they are out of bounds IMO. Fail the inspection with the proper final -- the IRC also covers the ,IPC,IMC,IFGC should the EC fail because the fireplace shutoff is over 6' from the appliance? Is this a random selection on which code applies to the electrical contractor. I will inform contractors of the issues at rough in and my situation may be unique due to the multiple types of inspections I perfrom but I try to limit the scope of inspection to its specific code.

NEC is NEC. If AHJ chooses to have a particular inspector inspect more than just the NEC then it is what it is. They could easily still have same requirements but have a different inspector for enforcing other codes. AFAIK most of these codes have no qualification standards within their content for inspectors or even the installers.

RICK NAPIER

The state codes in NJ specifically assigns the responsibility of inspection and plan review of each section of the adopted codes. They also require and provide CEU classes for inspectors and a department with the primary responsibility of answering code questions to facilitate in the enforcement of these codes.

Status
Not open for further replies.