Permit question??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a general contractor in PA and I unfortunatley got "roped in" to installing baths and kitchens for one of the big "box stores". My issue is I pulled a permit and drew an electrical diagram for heated flooring (at the request of the TWP), the permit was approved including approval of the electrical drawing (which had to be stamped by an electrical inspector). The "box store" did not like my time frame to execute the job and wants to have another contractor to install the bathroom using my drawing. Is there the possiblility of liability or future lawsuit if my drawing is used? What if he hires a different inspector than mine could this cause "finger pointing" in the future if something did go wrong. Just trying to cover myself.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

P.S. My lawyer didn't know of any liability but his advice was withdraw the permit altogether because my name is associated on the drawing plus he thinks I should withdraw so they don't reap the benefits of my work to pull the permit.

Thanks in advance.

north star

: - : - :

You have paid an attorney to provide you with advice.
I would do as they have recommended, ...withdraw
your permit application and your plans.........Let the
"big box" find someone else !......If the "big box"
wants to purchase your plans, give them an obscenely
large number to chew on !

3rd the motion !

PetrosA

Sounds like maybe West Whiteland? ;) I would withdraw the permit. Hopefully they'll reimburse you part of the fee, but they may not if they already had L.W. approve the drawings.

I've learned to warn customers in W. Whiteland that permits take a few weeks to get, and work can not start before they're delivered. People aren't happy about it, but hey, they chose to live there, not me.

ceb58

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

P.S. My lawyer didn't know of any liability but his advice was withdraw the permit altogether because my name is associated on the drawing plus he thinks I should withdraw so they don't reap the benefits of my work to pull the permit.

Thanks in advance.
I can think of some liability. What if they get a couple of the highly trained electricians that stand out side the box store looking for work to do the job. Now what happens when Jose A and Jose B install the cable and something goes wrong? Jose A is going to point to your name on the drawing while Jose B is warming up the station wagon.

jumper

I agree with your lawyer.........but, I'm no lawyer.

Second the motion.

You have paid an attorney to provide you with advice.
I would do as they have recommended, ...withdraw
your permit application and your plans.........Let the
"big box" find someone else !......If the "big box"
wants to purchase your plans, give them an obscenely
large number to chew on !

3rd the motion !

I would say that a quorum is established, the motion is passed, sent to final review, and should be signed.:D

kwired

Electron manager
Withdraw your permit, make changes to the drawing that will not work, remove your name from drawing, maybe add the stores name to the drawing, and tell them they can have as many copies as they want:). Unless they paid you what you wanted for doing the drawing, but make sure most of your project cost is in the drawing and not the actual install:happyyes:

Doesn't sound like big box is that good of a partner, I think I would decline further work through them. They don't care about you, they care about profits in their pockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.