Outdoor disconnect for motors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all....here is my question.

I have a 30amp 3pole dis.switch in a garage for a exhaust fan that is outside.The starter is also inside.
Do I need a disconnect switch for the motor which is located outside? The architect claimes if it is within line if sight I dont need a second switch. The answer he gave me was just look out the window and you can see the motor.....I claim I need a switch located near the motor for service reasons. Is this true?

Thanks, Sparkcontrol

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with Gus. The disconnect is not there so that you can see the motor from the disconnect but that you need to see the disconnect from the motor. If I am working on a motor then I want to make sure I can see if someone is near the disco and may accidentally turn it on.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
430.102:
(B)
Motor. A disconnecting means shall be provided for a motor in accordance with (B)(1) or (B)(2). (1) Separate Motor Disconnect. A disconnecting means for the motor shall be located in sight from the motor location and the driven machinery location.

(2) Controller Disconnect. The controller disconnecting means required in accordance with 430.102(A) shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means for the motor if it is in sight from the motor location and the driven machinery location.

Definitions:
In Sight From (Within Sight From, Within Sight). Where this Code specifies that one equipment shall be “in sight from,” “within sight from,” or “within sight of,” and so forth, another equipment, the specified equipment is to be visible and not more than 15 m (50 ft) distant from the other.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Definitions:
In Sight From (Within Sight From, Within Sight). Where this Code specifies that one equipment shall be ?in sight from,? ?within sight from,? or ?within sight of,? and so forth, another equipment, the specified equipment is to be visible and not more than 15 m (50 ft) distant from the other.
Is the 50' "line of sight" or the length of the physical path you would have to follow to get from the equipment to the disconnect?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Is the 50' "line of sight" or the length of the physical path you would have to follow to get from the equipment to the disconnect?
Good question. Generally I have never had to deal with that but I would have to say a visual distance of 50' . To say within physical sight from can be 200' for some people so I am thinking the distance (50') is visual.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I think a window is OK as far as meeting the ability to see the disconnect switch.

I also think it is line of site, as far as the 50 feet goes.
I agree with 50' limitation as the line of site distance...

However, in the case of an outside motor, inside disconnect, and site is via an exterior-wall window, I don't think it is okay. On a bright day, what will be seen looking from the motor at the window will most likely be a reflection, especially if the interior side of the window is dimly lit. The requirement is that it be not only within sight, but also that the disconnect be visible.

Status
Not open for further replies.