400 amp service(320) voltage drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Read the info inside the 400 amp meter base. If you go to the supply house around here and ask for a 400 amp meter base they hand you one that states 320 amps. Now why they sell the 400 amp base at the 320 rating and the 200 at the 200 amp rating instead of 160 amps rating- I don't know.

Not sure how the 3 phase meters are rated. Certainly in a home you would rarely be close to 160 amps continuous on a 200 amp service.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I just find the use of the term 400(320) to be confusing and I'm wondering why it's even noted that way. A 400 amp load calculation means a 400 amp meter enclosure.

iwire

Staff member

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Read the info inside the 400 amp meter base. If you go to the supply house around here and ask for a 400 amp meter base they hand you one that states 320 amps. Now why they sell the 400 amp base at the 320 rating and the 200 at the 200 amp rating instead of 160 amps rating- I don't know.

Not sure how the 3 phase meters are rated. Certainly in a home you would rarely be close to 160 amps continuous on a 200 amp service.

I have to ask if the 400 amp service is truly a 400 amp service, or a 320 when it is installed. A true 400 amp service will take a K base or some transformer rated metering. an S Base is only rated for 320 continuous.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I have to ask if the 400 amp service is truly a 400 amp service, or a 320 when it is installed. A true 400 amp service will take a K base or some transformer rated metering. an S Base is only rated for 320 continuous.
When I install a 200 amp meter base I understand that is only rated 160 continuous. It is still, IMO a 200 amp service. If someone has need of 200 amp continuous then I would go up to 400 amps or possible 300 amps

iwire

Staff member

It is the same rating as the breaker.

The breaker is also only rated 320 contintinuos.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I agree it's a 200 amp service, unless I'm missing something the use of the wording 160 amps continuous is irrelevant.
Not really. It is relevant if you have over 160 amps of continuous load in the building. Basically the meter is not rated to carry a continuous load over 160 amps.

It may be unlikely scenario but that would be when it comes into play--

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Not really. It is relevant if you have over 160 amps of continuous load in the building. Basically the meter is not rated to carry a continuous load over 160 amps.

That makes a little more sense. If I had service equipment that was 100% continuous rated then the meter would need to be also if it were operating near it's maximum ampacity.

iwire

Staff member

In that case the NEC load calculations would have required more than a 200 amp service.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

I disagree. A class 200 meter is rated at 200 amps continuous, the class 320 is rated at 320 continuous. The meterbases I get(250 amp) are also rated at 200 amps continuous, although I have seen some of the mobile home combo panels(200 amp) rated at 160 continuous.

Last edited:

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
sorry about the confusion... it is feeding (2) 200 amp panels

So where is the meter, on the pole or on the house? Are you dealing with the service entrance conductors on the line side of the meter or the load side? In my area, the POCO feeds the line side. If that was your case, and the meter was on the house, you could double lug the load side service entrance conductors and run a set of 4/0 AL or 2/0 CU conductors to each panel.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I am very confused,:? the load would not be under 200 amps it would be over 200 amps.
I am saying if the load is continuous at 170 amps and you had a 200 amp breaker that is rated 100% then you could not use the 200 amp base. Highly unlikely I know

We do have a member saying that the 200 amp base is rated 200 amps continuous. I will have to check as it was not always that way.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I just checked a new Milbank 200 amp meter base and it is indeed rated 200 amps continuous so everything is moot about this issue. It now makes sense that a 200 and a 320 base is rated at the continuous loads. I should have checked but I wonder if the 200 amp base is rated 250 amps non continuous

Status
Not open for further replies.