code violation pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

69gp

Hi,

Just wondering if there is a spot on here where you can post pictures of code violation? Just thought it might be interesting to see what others have seen for violations

steve

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There is no dedicated place for such photos so you can post them in this thread with some accompanying commentary. Just posting photo's without adding some relevance to the thread will cause the thread be closed or removed. Here's one to start:

Weather proof while in-use and more. ;)

IMG_2024.JPG

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Bag? its a pop bottle with the top cut off, Don't think it will meet the UL listing of an inuse cover though

While it does not meet the current requirements for such installations it is quite possible it did when it was installed. The pop bottle cover added to a compliant installation does not make it non-compliant IMO.

hurk27

photo (22).JPG

To post a photo click on the reply button then click on the Image button in the tool bar looks like a painting six buttons from the right in the middle row, if the photo is on your computer select browse and point it to the photo you want to upload, then click upload, and post about what the photo is about.

If the photo is on a web site then select web site and copy and past the URL (address) in the space and click on upload, you can't just copy the link to a photo on your hard drive as it doesnt work that way.

Again don't just post the photo, forum rules requires you to post about the photo even if it is a remark as to what you think about it as above on the swimming pool, which has been around for some time.

Last edited:

jumper

While it does not meet the current requirements for such installations it is quite possible it did when it was installed. The pop bottle cover added to a compliant installation does not make it non-compliant IMO.

Cover or no cover.

314.23(F) Raceway-Supported Enclosures, with Devices, Luminaires,
or Lampholders. An enclosure that contains a
device(s), other than splicing devices, or supports a luminaire(
s), lampholder, or other equipment and is supported by
entering raceways shall not exceed 1650 cm3 (100 in.3) in
size. It shall have threaded entries or have hubs identified for
the purpose. It shall be supported by two or more conduits
threaded wrenchtight into the enclosure or hubs. Each conduit
shall be secured within 450 mm (18 in.) of the enclosure.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Cover or no cover.

314.23(F) Raceway-Supported Enclosures, with Devices, Luminaires,
or Lampholders. An enclosure that contains a
device(s), other than splicing devices, or supports a luminaire(
s), lampholder, or other equipment and is supported by
entering raceways shall not exceed 1650 cm3 (100 in.3) in
size. It shall have threaded entries or have hubs identified for
the purpose. It shall be supported by two or more conduits
threaded wrenchtight into the enclosure or hubs. Each conduit
shall be secured within 450 mm (18 in.) of the enclosure.

Yup, that too. :)

James S.

I'm not sure but I think this might qualify for this thread. Found after demoing a soffit. The best part is that the spliced wire goes up into the attic and is just capped off with wire nuts. :?

Attachments

• 20130520_120705[1].jpg
    20130520_120705[1].jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 0

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I'm not sure but I think this might qualify for this thread. Found after demoing a soffit. The best part is that the spliced wire goes up into the attic and is just capped off with wire nuts. :?
Formerly feeding the grow lights in the attic? Is there an abandoned water line up there too?

hurk27

View attachment 8568

Surely there is no issue with this?

Pete

Naw just put a 5 gallon bucket over it and it will be fine, out of site out of mind:lol:

Going though all the trouble of installing of installing seal offs at a gas station then just using a non-rain tight 1900 4 square and Garvin cover for the receptacle just makes me wonder what kind of installers we have wiring gas stations, wonder what the rest of the electrical work looks like behind the walls and in the ground.

Reminds me of a gas station that was getting remodeled and when they were digging up the concrete and pump islands all the RMC with seal offs just went through the concrete to just under it, from there to the building they used a direct burial multi-conductor tray cable then up into the building again with just a stub under the concrete with seal offs, they did use a bushing on the end of the RMC under ground though, the inspector pulled the original permits out from the original build just to see who did it, and about fell over when he saw it was a large electrical contractor who has been around for a long while, it was originally wired about 15 years ago, and no one did a trench inspection, it seemed like most of the inspectors had trusted them as the work that was visible looked good, well it was lucky that even the lighting standards and poles were also being replaced as some were being relocated, as they were also done like this, the inspector told me he was going to have to keep a sharp eye on this contractor, as they were known for not getting trench inspections and sometimes would cover up some of the walls before calling in for inspections, it seem because they were such a large company that everyone trusted them and would sign off on the green tags, well no more, later the inspector told me they made them open up walls when they tried it again and found all kinds of violations, they lost their trust and after the word got out, other areas also started watching them more closely, how do these people sleep at night.:rant:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.