Another Gen. Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendrix

Can you go from an unfused meter socket with SEU to an unfused auto transfer switch with SEU and out to the gen. disconnect from the transfer switch with SER ?

jwelectric

In order to go from the meter to an ATS the ATS must be suitable for service equipment.
In order to fit this there must be an external off position on the switch which turns off both the utility and the generator.

230.91 of the NEC mandates that the overcurrent device be integral or immediately adjacent to the disconnect.

So the question is does the switch have an absolute off and overcurrent. If not then the answer to your question is no.

Hendrix

Can you go from an unfused meter socket with SEU to an unfused auto transfer switch with SEU.

I left out part of it :dunce: Then from the transfer switch to the main panel w/SEU and then from the transfer switch out to the gen disconnect with SER.

Last edited by a moderator:

ceb58

Can you go from an unfused meter socket with SEU to an unfused auto transfer switch with SEU .I left out part of it :dunce: Then from the transfer switch to the main panel w/SEU and then from the transfer switch out to the gen disconnect with SER.
No, you must have a service rated disconnect ether before the ATS or the ATS must be SE rated ( disconnect/ OCP built in). Now comes the point of where your GEC is bonded. If it is in the meter base then you are good. If not it must be brought back to the first disconnect, bonded with the neutral and every thing down stream would have to have the N - G separated and isolated using 4 wire.

Hendrix

No, you must have a service rated disconnect ether before the ATS or the ATS must be SE rated ( disconnect/ OCP built in). Now comes the point of where your GEC is bonded. If it is in the meter base then you are good. If not it must be brought back to the first disconnect, bonded with the neutral and every thing down stream would have to have the N - G separated and isolated using 4 wire.
There is a service rated disconnect between the gen. and the transfer switch. Just no disconnect from the meter to the main. just a non fused auto transfer switch.

ceb58

There is a service rated disconnect between the gen. and the transfer switch. Just no disconnect from the meter to the main. just a non fused auto transfer switch.
There must be a SE rated disconnect between the meter and ATS or the ATS must be SE rated. That is what I was saying in my other post.

ceb58

`Can the ATS be SE rated w/o a breaker?
Yes, it could just have disconnecting means but I think most if not all are a disconnect with OCP (breaker). But I think you would be in worse shape using a ATS with just a disconnect because of 230.91. If that disconnect doesn't contain OCP then you must provide it "immediately adjacent thereto". What are you trying to accomplish? I get the feeling there is "more to the story"

Hendrix

Kohler makes a 200a transfer switch with out OCP. So as I said, power comes from the meter socket to the transfer switch, and to the main panel and the generator.
So, the only thing that I should be concerned about is if the ATS is SR ?
The main panel is about 4' from the TS which is about 4' from the meter socket.

eHunter

Kohler makes a 200a transfer switch with out OCP. So as I said, power comes from the meter socket to the transfer switch, and to the main panel and the generator.

Yes, Kohler produces an ATS without disconnects or OCPD, but they are not Service Entrance rated.
If you know of one please post the model and serial number.
All Kohler Service Entrance rated ATS have disconnects.
The specs describe the disconnects as below:
"Includes service disconnect circuit breakers on both sources (80% rated)"
or
"Includes service disconnect circuit breakers on utility side (80% rated)"
If you have one the Kohler ATS models listed in the attached pdf, then you have a Kohler Service Entrance rated ATS and it will include the disconnect(s).

View attachment Kohler_SE_ATS_categoryNu.pdf

ceb58

OK, if it doesn't have built in OCP/Disco then it is not an SE rated ATS. You must provide a service disconnect between the meter and the ATS. You also need to go back and look at what I said in post #6 because now all of the N-G bonding will have to be reworked.

Status
Not open for further replies.