Bending conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... You just insulted alot of good commercial electricians who are willing to work for 15 /hr and not sit around and whine about no jobs.
It's a conundrum... and its created by the ones willing to work for 15/hr.

Take the j'men that work for 25/hr two thirds of the year and laid off the rest, for which they get unemployment roughly equal to 50% their working rate (not considering any state in particular, or their caps).

$25/hr ? 40hrs/wk ? 35wks = $35k
$12.5/hr ? 40hrs/wk ? 17wks = $8.5k
Total for year = $43.5k

Now compare to someone working all year at 15/hr.

$15/hr ? 40hrs/wk ? 52wks = $31.2k

I don't know about you, but I'd rather make $43.5k/yr and have 4 months off than work all year and make $31.2k... :happyyes:

wbsteve

My opinion is if qualified people work for a lower than average rate it eventually brings down the average pay for the whole trade. I'm 30 minutes from New Jersey (op's home state) and $15 seems low. If the original poster is near the PA side of jersey send me a message. I might be able to help you out.

Rewire

It's a conundrum... and its created by the ones willing to work for 15/hr.

Take the j'men that work for 25/hr two thirds of the year and laid off the rest, for which they get unemployment roughly equal to 50% their working rate (not considering any state in particular, or their caps).

$25/hr ? 40hrs/wk ? 35wks = $35k
$12.5/hr ? 40hrs/wk ? 17wks = $8.5k
Total for year = $43.5k

Now compare to someone working all year at 15/hr.

$15/hr ? 40hrs/wk ? 52wks = $31.2k

I don't know about you, but I'd rather make $43.5k/yr and have 4 months off than work all year and make $31.2k... :happyyes:

using that mentality why work at all

"the average spending per household in poverty was $61,194 in 2011."

Smart $

Esteemed Member
using that mentality why work at all

"the average spending per household in poverty was $61,194 in 2011."
Has nothing to do with "that" mentality.

I was just using some general numbers and scenarios tossed around in the discussion already.

Also, spending per household doesn't reflect the number of household members.

If you want to compare some numbers, look up the average electrician's yearly earnings over the last twenty years, and compare that to the yearly cost of living over the same period.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Tell him 15 bucks an hour
At $15 an hour there is no reason to buy and use all the tool needed when you can do just about any other job at $15 an hour with no tools and no schooling,Guys making $15 an hour usually look it and cannot support a family,If you don't pay your men like the professionals that they are ,Then how do you expect your clients to pay you a premium price for your service if you send out guys on the same leval as a french fry cook,You may be able to sell at a premium but once your clients see your crew of poorly compensated employees they will feel they've been ripped off ,As they should feel.

Rewire

At $15 an hour there is no reason to buy and use all the tool needed when you can do just about any other job at $15 an hour with no tools and no schooling,Guys making $15 an hour usually look it and cannot support a family,If you don't pay your men like the professionals that they are ,Then how do you expect your clients to pay you a premium price for your service if you send out guys on the same leval as a french fry cook,You may be able to sell at a premium but once your clients see your crew of poorly compensated employees they will feel they've been ripped off ,As they should feel.

This is a side job for a third year apprentice try and keep it in perspective.

nhfire77

This is a side job for a third year apprentice try and keep it in perspective.

So, if it's a side job its artificially low for a 3rd year apprentice. The point others make about it beig to low is right. No one here is ok with $16/hr for legit pay, let alone side work. Either way its too low. If some one feels insulted that our opinion of their wage, they shouldn't have brought their feelings to the Internet.

Rewire

So, if it's a side job its artificially low for a 3rd year apprentice. The point others make about it beig to low is right. No one here is ok with $16/hr for legit pay, let alone side work. Either way its too low. If some one feels insulted that our opinion of their wage, they shouldn't have brought their feelings to the Internet.

why is it low? It could be high. It is all a matter of perspective and where you are at. I think 16 bucks for a side jobbing third year is just right.

growler

Ok cool so I wasn't far off I told him 16

I think 16 bucks for a side jobbing third year is just right.

Rewire could be right. The OP asked for $16 an hour so if it were me I would pay him the $16 an hour and if it turns out he is a good worker and can make me some money then there is nothing wrong with giving him a bonus and maybe even a full time job if there is work available.

Now if it turns out that the OP is not as good as hoped then you really haven't lost anything by hiring him to do side work on the cheap.

growler

No one here is ok with $16/hr for legit pay, let alone side work.

Most guys doing electrical work have been in the trade long enough to know about how much they can make doing side work. All electricians on a crew talk about pay.

$16 an hour seems real low for New Jersey but that's what the OP asked for so that means he will be satisfied at least until he finds out the other guys are making $25 an hour and then he want be a happy camper.

Things have a way of working themselves out.

liquidtite

It will be my first time working for him I meet the man from a add on the Internet . He asked for pipe benders I called him said I could bend pipe he said I need everything perfect good craftsmanship .i said no prob he said I could pay you 15 I said that's a little low ill start at 16 when you see what I'm capable of doing then I'd like 17 .but I'm fine with 16 till he sees my pipe work then ill let my work speak for its self , he said fine Ill be on the job this sat .

liquidtite

It is paid cash no check .i wish I asked for more will see what happenes I'm going to hustle and get as much pipe up as I can then ill ask for more $ if we wants me back .

PetrosA

It is paid cash no check .i wish I asked for more will see what happenes I'm going to hustle and get as much pipe up as I can then ill ask for more $ if we wants me back .

Why would you install as much as you can right off the bat?!? Work normally till you figure out who this guy is looking for weekend pipe warriors, talk money, then work harder.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

don't get hurt being a ricky racer.

if you are getting cash, it's most likely that there is no workers comp in place on your butt.
that is the most likely reason you are getting cash from a total stranger you met off the 'net.
there are other reasons, but they are less appealing than that one. that one is the best of the bunch.

just to get some perspective, the last time i made $16 an hour to work as a sparky.....

Illinois Bell Company introduces first ever Cellular Mobile Phone System
Space Invaders Launches Craze for Computer Video Games
The first computer bulletin board system BBS is created
Average Cost of new house $54,800.00
Average Income per year $17,000.00
Average Monthly Rent $260.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas 63 cents

it was 1978.....

you may want to rethink your pricing strategy.

note: if he is paying cash, there is NO reason not to be paid
in full at the end of each day. just sayin...

Last edited:

Rewire

don't get hurt being a ricky racer.

if you are getting cash, it's most likely that there is no workers comp in place on your butt.
that is the most likely reason you are getting cash from a total stranger you met off the 'net.
there are other reasons, but they are less appealing than that one. that one is the best of the bunch.

just to get some perspective, the last time i made $16 an hour to work as a sparky.....

Illinois Bell Company introduces first ever Cellular Mobile Phone System
Space Invaders Launches Craze for Computer Video Games
The first computer bulletin board system BBS is created
Average Cost of new house $54,800.00
Average Income per year $17,000.00
Average Monthly Rent $260.00
Cost of a gallon of Gas 63 cents

it was 1978.....

you may want to rethink your pricing strategy.

note: if he is paying cash, there is NO reason not to be paid
in full at the end of each day. just sayin...

local 1 scale was still at $17/hr in 1993 of course gas was $1 a gallon

Rewire

i stand corrected... to the original poster, don't even THINK of asking for more than minimum wage.

ever.

you are absolutely right, mr. rewire. you win... congratulations.

where do you want your trophy sent?

I didnt realize you were thinking this was a competition. Thier is no "right or wrong" to this conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.