40amp Stove circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing some rehab on a rental property for a long time, good client. During the walk thru, I noticed that the stove was 40 amp, seen it occasionaly before in some older homes. This house was built in the 50s or early 60s. Must of been code at the time. There is currently a standard stove in there, is this safe, is it ok if they are not using a self cleaning type?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It is fine.
Do you have an EC that works with you on your projects?

Roger

James S.

Doing some rehab on a rental property for a long time, good client. During the walk thru, I noticed that the stove was 40 amp, seen it occasionaly before in some older homes. This house was built in the 50s or early 60s. Must of been code at the time. There is currently a standard stove in there, is this safe, is it ok if they are not using a self cleaning type?

You could always check the plate rating on the appliance.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It would take a very unusual range that would require more than 40 amps as a 16 kw ranges is only required to be on a 40 amp circuit.

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for your responces, It was something that comes up time to time, I just wanted to be sure before I gave my client a responce. I also like to know as well. And yes I do have a EC, when the job reqiures, where not doing any electrical on this one. again thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis, can you provide the calculation for that?

Sure T. 220.55 assuming residential

Use Col. C for 1 unit is 8kw for ranges not over 12 kw. Not 1 tells us to use col. C and multiply 5% for each kw over 12KW. 16kw- 12 kw = 4 kw

4 * 5% = 20%

8kw * 1.2%= 9.6kw or

8kw *.2= 1.6kw

8wk is the demand for a 12kw unit so add the 1.6 kw per note #1

8kw +1.6 KW= 9.6 kw

9600/240= 40 amps

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The think that makes this interesting is that any Ranges from 8 3/4 kw to 16 kw can be wired 40 amps. The 16kw is almost double the wattage of the 8 3/4 KW yet the same size conductor can be used.

iwire

Staff member
The think that makes this interesting is that any Ranges from 8 3/4 kw to 16 kw can be wired 40 amps. The 16kw is almost double the wattage of the 8 3/4 KW yet the same size conductor can be used.

:D

It is almost like the CMP got together and said "Lets do this, it will blow their mind and we wont give a hint why we did it." :p

Status
Not open for further replies.