Exterior emergency egress lighting??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt66electric

I have a set of plans that call for Exterior emergency egress lighting??

Next day electical supply house does not have a clue(nor do I)

What does it look like?? Where can I get 2?.......

Do any other cities require these in building/remodeling permits???

Thank you
Dennis

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have a set of plans that call for Exterior emergency egress lighting??

Next day electical supply house does not have a clue(nor do I)

What does it look like?? Where can I get 2?.......

Do any other cities require these in building/remodeling permits???

Thank you
Dennis

For buildings which under the Fire code are required to have emergency egress lighting in the first place, the lighting requirement does not just cover the inside of the building but includes the exterior paths or routes to some public right of way or place of safety. Sounds like the plans are referring to that.
Your problem is that that lighting has to be engineered to provide the required light levels from one end to the other rather than just being provided by a named fixture.
Whoever drew up the plans apparently left that responsibility to you, or else the details are in another document.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
First off, what is your normal exterior light source? What type of fixture(s)?

Often what is done is an interior battery back up exit sign (usually by the exit) with a remote exterior head. Of course the sign has to be rated for the remote head. Another possibility is a fluorescent/LED fixture with a battery back up ballast built in. A 3rd would be a UPS in the electrical closet for the cuircuits running the exterior lights.

Fire and local code will dictate how many lumens per foot and if the run time needs to be above 90minutes.

kwired

Electron manager
Your remote head is listed for wet locations, but the recommended application is indoors. I wonder who wrote the web page?
I find errors all the time in the information on web pages, you kind of have to hope that if you download spec sheets that they will have more accuracy to them, but even those are not always accurate. If the people writing the information know little or nothing about the product, then you can not expect them to recognize inaccurate information they are using and to correct it.

beanland

Distance considered safe

Distance considered safe

Fire codes require that emergency egress lighting be provided to a distance considered safe. This is especially critical where canopies, railings, or walls outside a building form a barrier to egress. As said above, it is to a place considered public. Battery operated exterior fixtures are needed to provide adequate illumination, typically 1fc average, up to 30ft or more from a building. Concealite makes a type of exterior egress light. Another solution is to provide a central inverter to backup all of the exterior lights on a building. If you use a 277V inverter and one 277V circuit for a bunch of LED or CFL exterior fixtures, you can satisfy the need for egress lighting and emergency egress lighting at the same time.

eHunter

If the fixtures are not speced on the fixture schdule, check with the architect/developer they may want a specific fixture with specific performance metrics.
As mentioned above, centrally located inverter or UPS are an option using standard fixtures.Exterior/Outdoor emergency fixtures do exist, the following and other lighting manufacturers offer exterior/outdoor emergency fixtures.http://www.google.com/search?num=10......1c.1.14.hp.HtVqbz2t6Vw&rlz=1W1MXGB_enUS531

DualLite/Hubbell
http://www.dual-lite.com/products/outdoor_emergency_lighting

Juno
http://www.junolightinggroup.com/product_detail.asp?ino=12054&Sel_Id=26592&brand=4

Lithonia
http://lithonia.acuitybrands.com/OutdoorEmergencyGuide/Home.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.