SER ampacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyx92

Can't you use the 75 degree column for SER as long as its not in insulation which then I know you must use the 60degree column? I don't see the article saying you can though, 2008 NEC.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The 2008 NEC does not allow the use of 75C. Art. 338.10(B)(4) states to go to Art. 334 part II-- that's for NM and we know that is 60C. The 2011 changed to 75C if not in insulation, etc

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't see where it says you can use the 75 degree column

It doesn't, it says that if not within insulation then you do not need to use the 60? C ampacity . Since most terminals are rated for 75? C and the cable is rated for 75? C or 90? C then you can use a higher than 60? C ampacity.

chevyx92

It doesn't, it says that if not within insulation then you do not need to use the 60? C ampacity .

Well I don't see that specifically but I guess by it saying "shall comply with the installation requirements of part two of article 334 excluding 334.80" makes it ok?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Well I don't see that specifically but I guess by it saying "shall comply with the installation requirements of part two of article 334 excluding 334.80" makes it ok?

Yes, in the 2008 NEC you were required to follow 334.80 (60? C only) for all SE cable interior installations. Now under the 2011, if not installed in insulation the 60? C limit is not applicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.