Generator Oversizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

I have a residental load calculation at 278amps. They recommend going 25% larger for a generator. Which is 347 amps. an 80 KW is rated at 320 amps. A 100 kw is rated at 417 amps. By the numbers I should use the 100kw. Should I? The 100 kw is 6,000 more which is not the end of the world. I have been told the load calculation for a house is oversized allready for one reason or another. Would like some outside input. Thanks

Sahib

If it is a diesel generator, it will consume more diesel compared to one operating at its rated load. See to it that the capacity of the gen set is not more than about 120% of load to have a reasonable diesel consumption.

Last edited:

arnettda

If it is a diesel generator, it will consume more diesel compared to one operating at its rated load. See to it that the capacity of the gen set is not more than about 120% of load to have a reasonable diesel consumption.

It is L.P? Gas.

eHunter

Oversizing a diesel genset by more than about 30-40% results in wet stacking or diesel slobber that reduces the life and performance of the prime mover and usually causes premature servicing.
This also occurs when a diesel genset or any diesel engine does not run long enough and often enough under near full load.
A NG or LP genset does not experience these problems when oversized; however they do experience reduced efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.