flagged on 2 things - GFI for laundry and Shower trim

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcooper

I just got flagged by an inspector for 2 violations

1 - The 120v outlet servicing the washer located in a laundry closet on the 1st fl needs tobe GFCI protected?
Never heard of this ..... ever! I looked at 210.8 and don't see it. Am I missing something?

2 - I have a recessed light installed in a tub/shower (no hand held). Open trim rated for damp location. Inspector claims this ceiling is a wet location as it is subject to shower spray. I disagree. The shower spray can not hit the ceiling. It is unlikley that the spray would bounce off a body and hit the ceiling also......... but that's not shower spray anyways!

Am I wrong here?

I would just change the items but I have 10 Bathrms and 5 120v washers

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
GFCI is not required for a laundry area unless within 6' of a sink or in a location, such as an unfinished basement, that would otherwise require GFCI protection anyway.

The shower spray is a judgment call. For what it's worth I agree with you.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I just got flagged by an inspector for 2 violations

2 - I have a recessed light installed in a tub/shower (no hand held). Open trim rated for damp location. Inspector claims this ceiling is a wet location as it is subject to shower spray. I disagree. The shower spray can not hit the ceiling. It is unlikley that the spray would bounce off a body and hit the ceiling also......... but that's not shower spray anyways!

Well, the wording of the code is simple enough, it is just a question of how you interpret that part of it:
Luminaires located within the actual outside dimension of the bath- tub or shower to a height of 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower threshold shall be marked for damp locations, or marked for wet locations where subject to shower spray.
If you put your hand over the shower head and squeeze just right, I am sure you could spray the ceiling. But is that shower spray or not?
If someday later installed a hand held shower head, would the luminaire have to be changed?
What if.....?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think a shower trim would have been the wise choice there.

The gfci, as stated, is required within 6' of the sink-- be ready 2014- afci in the laundry room.

dcooper

Ahhhh the "what if" factor

I installed a flourescent lamp in a recessed closet fixture (with an open trim) and the Inspector said " What if they change the light bulb?" I kindley replied " Well bulbs grow out of the ground, we deeal with lamps and what if they took the panel cover off and poured water in the panel?" ......... I may have failed that inspection

cowboyjwc

Staff member
No GFCI in the laundry room.

Look at 410.10(A) & (D) for the light fixture. Get a shower hot enough and the steam will act just like you were spraying water in there.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
How about the open bulb pendant is above the restricted area inside an enclosed shower stall.

Exactly, I could certainly spray that with a hand held sprayer IMO it still doesn't make it subject to shower spray.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Sure if I was taking a test, but in the real world?:huh:

Maybe I don't see enough showers but I don't recall seeing low mounted wall fixtures in a shower space. :)
You haven't seen showers installed in old empty swimming pools with lights?
Where have you been all this time?

RICK NAPIER

Ahhhh the "what if" factor

I installed a flourescent lamp in a recessed closet fixture (with an open trim) and the Inspector said " What if they change the light bulb?" I kindley replied " Well bulbs grow out of the ground, we deeal with lamps and what if they took the panel cover off and poured water in the panel?" ......... I may have failed that inspection

That would fail since the manufacturer list on the fixture the approved bulbs for that fixture the installation needs to meet the requirements of any of the approved bulbs. How would this be different then putting in a keyless open bulb fixture with a screw in flourescent bulb and saying this makes it ok for a clothes closet.

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That would fail since the manufacturer list on the fixture the approved bulbs for that fixture the installation needs to meet the requirements of any of the approved bulbs. How would this be different then putting in a keyless open bulb fixture with a screw in flourescent bulb and saying this makes it ok for a clothes closet.

I agree. Your closet light analogy is one that I hear often when someone screws in a CFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.