Article 110.26; Working Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

dasarmin

Consider a 36? H x 36? W x 8? D ?Plug Box? with 277Vac female receptacles on one side and access doors on the other for access to terminal strips, etc. The 277Vac receptacles are heater output that cycle ON / OFF based on a Loop Control Temperature System. Into these receptacles are male plugs that power resistive element heaters.
Article 110.26 addresses ?Working Spaces?; but I?m not sure if this applies to this installation; ?Condition 2?.
If a receptacle does not have a plug installed it would be ?Disabled? and would not have 277Vac available. Receptacles that are in use, will have a plug installed and would not be on continuously but only cycle ON / OFF as needed.

Does this ?intermittent? voltage to the receptacles exclude the adherence to Article 110.26?

RB1

Do these receptacles require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized? If not, then the general rule of 110.26 requires only the access and working space to permit ready and safe operation and maintenance of the equipment. In other words, Table 110.26(A) does not apply.

jumper

Do these receptacles require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized? If not, then the general rule of 110.26 requires only the access and working space to permit ready and safe operation and maintenance of the equipment. In other words, Table 110.26(A) does not apply.

Agree.

dasarmin

There would no service, maintenance, etc while a receptacle is hot. We have on occaion measured with a meter the voltage at a receptacle, but generally this is done on "door" side of the Plug Box which meets the requirements of 110.26.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It is my opinion that ALL electrical equipment requires some type of work while it is live and that ALL electrical equipment requires 110.26(A) work spaces. The CMP needs to accept some reasonable proposals to make this a workable code section and so far they have refused to do that. It is clear that they do not intend it to apply to all electrical equipment, but the words say otherwise.

iwire

Staff member
Let me start off by saying I respect Dons opinion but nonetheless feel differently. :)

It is my opinion that ALL electrical equipment requires some type of work while it is live and that ALL electrical equipment requires 110.26(A) work spaces.

It is my opinion that very little electrical equipment requires service that would expose live parts while live.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Let me start off by saying I respect Dons opinion but nonetheless feel differently. :)

It is my opinion that very little electrical equipment requires service that would expose live parts while live.
Bob,
What does "require" mean in that code section?

RB1

Don,

Your point is well taken. Some jurisdictions require working space for dry-type transformers others do not. I think it would be a good idea to have the code panels representing chapters 4 and 6 specifically reference 110.26(A) if it is intended that working space be provided for the equipment within the scope of a given article. Panel 1 has avoided a laundry list for 110.26(A) for good reason.

Sounds like a good project for you Don :thumbsup:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
There is a lot of clarification that might well be done with 110.26.

Why is the area specifically prohibited from being used for storage but does not seem to prohibit the use of the space for other things?

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector

I have to agree with you on this, based simply on the fact you are legally restricted on what you can work on while energized, not by code but by OSHA. There is almost nothing that NEEDS to be serviced while energized.

Cool, now we argue this out for 100 posts.:)
Only if it is to rotate a live receptacle to a "ground up" configuration while the circuit is live. :lol:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have to agree with you on this, based simply on the fact you are legally restricted on what you can work on while energized, not by code but by OSHA. There is almost nothing that NEEDS to be serviced while energized. ...
Troubleshooting is permitted live work, so if it is possible that someone will troubleshoot the equipment while it is energized, the rules in 110.26(A) apply.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
To me it means equipment that does not have the ability to be serviced dead

In other words something about the equipment requires that it be live to be serviced.

What does it mean to you? :huh:
And in my opinion the "require" is set by the worker. If he or she "requires" the the power to be on to trouble shoot the equipment, then 110.26(A) would have to apply. The issue is that know one knows if the equipment will be worked on while live and, in my opinion, if it is possible to be worked on live, then 110,.26(A) applies. I know that the intent is not to cover every item with the rule, this is just a wording issue and the CMP needs to accept proposals to limlt the coverage of 110.26(A)...the words, now, make it apply to all equipment.

I see this much like the rule for equal lengths for parallel conductors....impossible to comply with what the code wording says.

Status
Not open for further replies.