Conduit Isolation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGB1966

I'm hoping someone can help me with code references for the following question.

First of all I am a controls contractor working with low voltage systems.
I have a customer that has expressed the desire to install ALL conduit isolated from the supports. They can not adequately explain WHY, but are hinking to electrical noise induced in their control circuits. I think its ridiculous. Based on my past experience I would think if the conduits are isolated from the support it would only allow for more electrical noise, even if they are bonded at one or both ends.

Can anyone point me toward the section in the code that addressees this ?

Thank you in advance.

Justin

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I have a customer that has expressed the desire to install ALL conduit isolated from the supports. They can not adequately explain WHY, but are hinking to electrical noise induced in their control circuits. I think its ridiculous. Based on my past experience I would think if the conduits are isolated from the support it would only allow for more electrical noise, even if they are bonded at one or both ends.

Thank you in advance.

Justin

I don't have a problem with it. Estimate what the adder will be and present him with that for his signature.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

Thank you in advance.

Justin
Apparently ActionDave understands what you mean. For me, please enlighten me. What do you mean isolated from supports? what is isolated and what supports are you referring to? How do you isolate from these supports?

marti smith

250.4 and 250.104 for starters. You could use rubber covered pipe clamps or pvc if it's allowed in your application.

iwire

Staff member

Thank you in advance.

Justin

There is no code rule to give you, you can electrically isolate the conduits from the supports.

Any chance your customer is the govt. or a contractor for the govt.?

It reminds me of Tempest requirements. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempest_(codename)

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Apparently ActionDave understands what you mean. For me, please enlighten me. What do you mean isolated from supports? what is isolated and what supports are you referring to? How do you isolate from these supports?
I don't know exactly how to accomplish what the OP wants. I'd have too see it.

What I do know is that there are good tech. guys and then there are the ones that blame everything short of lunar phases for their troubles. Almost always the fix or preventative measure is work that needs to be done by someone else.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
:D

A company i worked for did some office spaces with some very odd and strange specifications. It would have never passed the NEC inspection if they let the inspector even look.
That link was crazy. I have heard of things like shooting a laser on a window and picking up conversations in a room, but I have never heard of anything like that.

iwire

Staff member
That link was crazy. I have heard of things like shooting a laser on a window and picking up conversations in a room, but I have never heard of anything like that.

The guys on the job only did the power and lighting no other equipment was brought in until after they were gone but in a nut shell none of our metal raceways or cables could touch any other metal. Not building steel, not plumbing or duct work it all had to be electrically isolated. Also any raceway leaving the space had to have a dielectric fitting breaking the electrical continuity. I was never on the job to see it but I got to look at the specs.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

I agree - crazy and entertaining. I really like one proposed title for the acronym - "Tiny ElectroMagnetic Particles Emitting Secret Things".

The whole thing reminds me of the "cone of silence":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cone_of_silence

And I suspect it probably works about as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.