Portable gasoline generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

A friend's office has 20 PCs, the boss wants to have a portable gasoline to power all these PCs in case building loose utility power.

Max. amp draws per PC and screen is 8A.

(20) PCs at 120V will consume = 20 x 8 x 120 = 19.2kVA

Assume generator pf = 0.8, the generator rating will probably = 19.2 kVA x 0.8 = 15.4kW

Does anyone know any generator manufacturer make this size (or larger) of portable gasoline generator with 10 output outlets (20A, 120V)? (They are trying to connect two PC to one generator output outlet via plug strip).

Any other solutions or suggestions for this? Thank you.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Does anyone know any generator manufacturer make this size (or larger) of portable gasoline generator with 10 output outlets (20A, 120V)? (They are trying to connect two PC to one generator output outlet via plug strip).

I do not think you will find such a unit.

You would need to have the generator feed a panelboard with branch circuit over current protection.

anbm

I do not think you will find such a unit.

You would need to have the generator feed a panelboard with branch circuit over current protection.

They do not want to do that, I saw some at Homedepot with (4) output outlets but not 10... maybe custom order?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
A friend's office has 20 PCs, the boss wants to have a portable gasoline to power all these PCs in case building loose utility power.

What good is keeping 20 PC's running if you you don't include the peripheral equipment? What about the internet modem?

Your generator will have to be outside someplace, so you will need to purchase and maintain 20 really long(?) extension cords. Remember plug-strips are not UL Listed to be fed by extension cords.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Do the PC's really draw 8 amps? Most draw well under half their nameplate amps. Test them under typical usage and during reboot to get a feeling for what they draw and then add a factor for margin. You may be able to find a "spider box" or similar power distribution that musicians use to feed a bunch of stuff from a 30A plug on a generator. Then, plug the power strips into the spider box outlets.

And doing this per UL and OSHA rules may be a problem using cords. But maybe they don't care.

anbm

What good is keeping 20 PC's running if you you don't include the peripheral equipment? What about the internet modem?

Your generator will have to be outside someplace, so you will need to purchase and maintain 20 really long(?) extension cords. Remember plug-strips are not UL Listed to be fed by extension cords.

Good point on modem, last week, they had power outage for 6 hours due to weather and the boss throw out that idea. They only want to keep PCs on power, nothing else... I am not sure he thought about the lights, they may use computer screen light output... j/k

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Good point on modem, last week, they had power outage for 6 hours due to weather and the boss throw out that idea. They only want to keep PCs on power, nothing else... I am not sure he thought about the lights, they may use computer screen light output... j/k

Back in "the old days" there was no point is supplying power to the computers if you could not also provide the A/C to keep them cool. :)

eHunter

Using multiple generators to power networked computers, peripherals and the network devices is asking for trouble.
This was tried by a local collection agency during the aftermath of a storm last year and ended up damaging the computers and the network equipment.

Work employees in a building without power for 6 hours? What about emergency and egress lighting, toilet facilites, air handling, and exhaust. Sounds to me like the boss hasn't given much thought to the safety and comfort of his employees.

kwired

Electron manager
Work employees in a building without power for 6 hours? What about emergency and egress lighting, toilet facilites, air handling, and exhaust. Sounds to me like the boss hasn't given much thought to the safety and comfort of his employees.
:thumbsup:

But then there are us construction trades workers that work in most any conditions and usually don't complain too much:(

ceb58

Using multiple generators to power networked computers, peripherals and the network devices is asking for trouble.
This was tried by a local collection agency during the aftermath of a storm last year and ended up damaging the computers and the network equipment.
I agree with Hunter, the equipment is not going to like the power that the generator will put out. Along with every one else the fact of no lights, A/C, etc............ Some one is having a knee jerk reaction with out doing their homework.

Status
Not open for further replies.