Outdoor branch circuits on buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I notice that when installing outdoor flood lights on houses the preferred wiring method seems to be pipe, either PVC or metal. Older installations have sagging pipe, rusty pipe and ugly looking LB fittings. Often straps have failed and the pipe is hanging down. All things considered, is piping really preferrable to UF cable in these situations? It would seem that UF cable goes up quicker and is probably less noticeable than pipe?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I notice that when installing outdoor flood lights on houses the preferred wiring method seems to be pipe, either PVC or metal. Older installations have sagging pipe, rusty pipe and ugly looking LB fittings. Often straps have failed and the pipe is hanging down. All things considered, is piping really preferrable to UF cable in these situations? It would seem that UF cable goes up quicker and is probably less noticeable than pipe?
There is miles of UF that is sun rotted, sagging like an overweight, old woman's figure because the staples are rusted away or have pulled out. I don't see that as better.

kwired

Electron manager
That is the way I see it. Besides, I live in the sunny state of Arizona. I don't even use PVC above ground because the sun bakes it so bad. Paint the emt and it just kind of goes away.
Conceal it in the wall and it goes away even more:p

What method may be best to use, or will last the longest kind of depends on what surface it is attached to some extent. Trying to attach almost anything to vinyl siding creates problems no matter what. Wood siding you can attach about anything with several attachment options. Masonry finishes are durable, but more difficult to attach to. Sheet metal finishes - you about need to hit the framing members if you are attaching anything with any kind of weight load to it.

bobbymari

Depends on cost and what customer is willing to go for. As kwired mentioned concealing is the most attractive but ask yourself, attic space available? Is opening some drywall on the interior an option? Depending on how many, I dont think Id want to be in an Arizona attic space for too long. If you get piping tight up against corners and eves doesnt look too bad once painted , cable on the other hand will sag much more than pipe and look alot less attractive in time IMO.

Arizona comment was in reference to James comment sorry

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.