Pool GFCI to 3 hp pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Hello.

A pool contractor replaced the circulator pump to a larger pump. The new motor is 3 hp 1 phase 240v 16 amp fla.
It is thermally protected so I figure I have that covered.
Reading 680.21 (C)... it mentions GFCI protection for branch circuits feeding pool pump motor outlets rated 15 or 20 amp 120/240v. At 16 amps I fed it with a 30 amp.
Is GFCI still required to that motor?

Thank you.

kwired

Electron manager
Other than the wording of the NEC, WHY NOT ?

Is there something special about poly-phase power that would not allow it to contribute to leakage currents ?

:)

I have at times wondered the same thing myself. Not only for poly-phase but also for circuits over 15 or 20 amps, or over 120 or 240 volts.

Not just in the swimming pool section of the code either. Seems like if I have two 20 amp receptacles located outdoors right next to each other, one being 120 volt the other being 480 volt, that there is an even greater shock hazard from the 480 volt receptacle.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Almost all pool pumps can be installed with a dp 25 amp overcurrent protective device and no gfci is required. I think the reason is that they are trying to add extra protection to residential pools. Not sure how that helps though. Pool pumps were only recently required to be on pool pumps that were direct wired so there are millions of pools without that protection. I have never read any reason why this is required. Someone have the 2008 comments

kwired

Electron manager
Almost all pool pumps can be installed with a dp 25 amp overcurrent protective device and no gfci is required. I think the reason is that they are trying to add extra protection to residential pools. Not sure how that helps though. Pool pumps were only recently required to be on pool pumps that were direct wired so there are millions of pools without that protection. I have never read any reason why this is required. Someone have the 2008 comments
I think I know what you intended to say, but that is still funny.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.