Setting address on fa device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Im stumped!
I dont understand how to set address on based on this paperwork???
Do you understand binary numbers?

Each switch represents a binary digit.

Just noticed, the switch positions are reversed.

PS: FWIW, every ON switch adds 2 to the power of its position number-1... e.g. when position 4 switch is on, it adds 2? (=8) to the other switches.

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Im stumped!
I dont understand how to set address on based on this paperwork???

Quick suggestion:
Find the three digit number you want to set up for that unit.
From there look to the left to find the position of the left four switches, and look up to find the position of the right four switches.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I guess I dont...
Golddigger's answer provides you with the way to set the switches. To understand how it accomplishes the address, it uses the binary (or base 2) system of numbers, made up of 0's and 1's.

Our decimal system is Base 10, and made up of 10 digits, 0 though 9. Places are from right to left. Each place increases by a power, n+1. In decimal, when you go past 9 in place you carry to the right as 1, to represent 1?10^n+1 and reset the current place to 0, as in the cases of going from 9 to 10, 99 to 100, 999 to 1,000 and so on.

In binary, you can only have 0 and 1 in each place, so when you epresent two, its "10". The second place represents decimal 2 or 2?. "11" represents decimal 3. "100" represents decimal 4, because the third place is 2?. "1000" represents decimal 8 because fourth place 2?. Each place is one power of 2 greater.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
...simple put, the vertical column is for dip switches 1-4 and the horizontal column is for sip switches 3-8. Pick the address # you are setting, and than start setting dip switches 1-4, than set 3-8

Smart $

Esteemed Member
...simple put, the vertical column is for dip switches 1-4 and the horizontal column is for sip switches 3-8. Pick the address # you are setting, and than start setting dip switches 1-4, than set 3-8
Ummm ... that's 1-4 and 5-8

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

What jusme123 said, corrected by Smart$.

In base 10 math, going right to left, you have 1's column, 10's column, 100's column, etc. In base 2 math, you have 1's, 2's, 4's, 8's, etc. Sadly, the manufacturer has decided to reverse the usual convention, and the lowest digits are on the left. It's as if they wanted to write one thousand as "000,1". I'd probably have tried to set "8" as "00000100" and then wondered why I was getting a device at address 32!

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
What jusme123 said, corrected by Smart$.

In base 10 math, going right to left, you have 1's column, 10's column, 100's column, etc. In base 2 math, you have 1's, 2's, 4's, 8's, etc. Sadly, the manufacturer has decided to reverse the usual convention, and the lowest digits are on the left. It's as if they wanted to write one thousand as "000,1". I'd probably have tried to set "8" as "00000100" and then wondered why I was getting a device at address 32!

WHO CARES!! Talk about confusing the issue! Geeze, just follow the chart. That's what the OP is asking about that he doesn't understand!!

-Hal

Security101

There's an android app called "simplex_switches" that helps, don't know if there's an apple option. Just punch in the addy you want and press the "S" logo, it will show you the dip switch "up's and down's"

It cuts out the math part :happyyes:

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.