another help to understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

aes92000

QUESTION
92. Determine the MAXIMUMsize overload protection required for a 480-volt, 3-phase, 15 hp,continuous-duty ac motor, where given the following related information. Assumethe value you select will permit the overload device to carry the motor loadand modification of this value is not required.

* Design C
* temperature rise - 40 deg.C
* service factor - 1.12
* nameplate ampere rating -18 amperes

A. 20.7 amperes
B. 18.0 amperes
C. 22.5 amperes
D. 23.4 amperes
ANSWER
92. A -For general motor applications, in compliance withSection 430.6(A)(2), the
ampere rating provided on the motor nameplate is used tosize the overload
protective devices intended to protect the motor. Section430.32(A)(1)
indicates where the motor has a service factor of lessthan 1.15, the rating or
setting of the overload protective device is to be notmore than the motors
nameplate ampere rating:
Motor nameplate FLA = 18 amperes x 115% = 20.7 amperes

according to Section 430.32(A)(1), I used the nameplate 18A with 40C at 125% to reach my answer of 22.5

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
QUESTION
92. Determine the MAXIMUMsize overload protection required for a 480-volt, 3-phase, 15 hp,continuous-duty ac motor, where given the following related information. Assumethe value you select will permit the overload device to carry the motor loadand modification of this value is not required.

* Design C
* service factor - 1.12

A. 20.7 amperes
B. 18.0 amperes
C. 22.5 amperes
D. 23.4 amperes
ANSWER
92. A -For general motor applications, in compliance withSection 430.6(A)(2), the
nameplate ampere rating:

according to Section 430.32(A)(1), I used the nameplate 18A with 40C at 125% to reach my answer of 22.5

I am inclined to agree with your interpretation.
The issue is whether the language of the section should be interpreted that both conditions must be satisfied to get the 125% value, or if either one by itself is enough. Based on normal English grammar and normal use of tables, this should be an OR condition, and your answer would be right. But although the same thing was discussed on an earlier thread here, I am not sure whether there was a clear consensus on the meaning.
If AND were intended, it would have been simpler and clearer to have one row in the table which said, in effect, "motors..... and ......" 125%

kwired

Electron manager
QUESTION

* Design C
* service factor - 1.12

A. 20.7 amperes
B. 18.0 amperes
C. 22.5 amperes
D. 23.4 amperes
ANSWER
nameplate ampere rating:

The answer explains that the service factor is less than 1.15 and therefore you must use 115% instead of 125%. But nameplate also says the motor is 40C or less rise. Nothing in 430.32(A)(1) says you must meet either or both conditions to use the 125% - I still think 125% is allowed to be used in this case.

Sahib

May we say over load protection of motor at 115% as close over load protection and at 125% as coarse over load protection? :)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
May we say over load protection of motor at 115% as close over load protection and at 125% as coarse over load protection? :)

No, since the code does not distinguish the two. The maximum allowed will be one or the other, following the (unclear) rule, and anything beyond that is design.

Rewire

QUESTION

* Design C
* service factor - 1.12

A. 20.7 amperes
B. 18.0 amperes
C. 22.5 amperes
D. 23.4 amperes
ANSWER
nameplate ampere rating:

20.7 A is the correct answer. An instructor told me along time ago that it does not matter how many times you get yes in the code because one "no" trumps all.
A motor needs to have a service rating of 1.15 or larger to size at 125% this motor does not, no trumps .

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
20.7 A is the correct answer. An instructor told me along time ago that it does not matter how many times you get yes in the code because one "no" trumps all.
A motor needs to have a service rating of 1.15 or larger to size at 125% this motor does not, no trumps .

That assumes that you can be sure that 125% is YES and 115% is NO. Not obvious to me.
Other places in the code state it clearly as "one of..." or "all of..." The rule you suggest does not seem natural when applied to a table. With a table normal process is to stop when you find a match instead of proceeding row by row until you get to "other".
(Ridiculous example: when you look at wire types in wiring methods, do you require that a wire type match all of the entries that include "wet conditions" before you can use it for wet conditions?)

Has the CMP said anything that might clarify this?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

The question asks what is the maximum required.

The supposed answer gives the maximum allowed.

Section430.32(A)(1)
indicates where the motor has a service factor of less than 1.15, the rating or
setting of the overload protective device is to be not more than the motors
nameplate ampere rating:

Which is also confusing, because the motor's ampere rating is 18. Where does it say you are to use the service factor?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Where does it say you are to use the service factor?

Look at the 2011 code:

(1) Separate Overload Device. A separate overload device that is responsive to motor current. This device shall be se- lected to trip or shall be rated at no more than the following percent of the motor nameplate full-load current rating:
Which points to the table based on temp rating and service factor that we have been agonizing about. The table has options for 125% and 115%.

kwired

Electron manager
Read 430.32(A)(1) again.

First condition mentioned - Motors with a marked service factor 1.15 or greater - False, can't use this one.

Second condition mentioned - Motors with a marked temperature rise 40?C or less - True, 125% may be applied.

Third condition mentioned - All other motors - False, if either of the first two conditions is true then "all other motors would be false, this condition does not apply, but using 115% is not a violation either.

Nothing there says that both the first two conditions must be true to use the 125%.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The CMP had an opportunity in their action on a 2002 code proposal to clear this up, but they didn't, however their comment indicated that the 40C part of the rule is for use with motors that do not have a service factor shown on the motor nameplate.

Their lack of action lets you use the 125% value if the motor has a service factor of 1.15 or greater or if the motor has a temperature rise of 40?C or less.

Rewire

Read 430.32(A)(1) again.

First condition mentioned - Motors with a marked service factor 1.15 or greater - False, can't use this one.

Second condition mentioned - Motors with a marked temperature rise 40?C or less - True, 125% may be applied.

Third condition mentioned - All other motors - False, if either of the first two conditions is true then "all other motors would be false, this condition does not apply, but using 115% is not a violation either.

Nothing there says that both the first two conditions must be true to use the 125%.

I would apply the "why" factor. Why would I NOT be allowed to use 125% on a motor marked with a service factor less than 1.15 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.