Spa feeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

James S.

Is there any reason you can't use romex to feed an outdoor spa or pool sub panel on a house? I keep seeing conduit in attics and it is making me second guess myself.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Unless you can meet the provision for existing feeders, 680.25 requires a conduit system for feeders.

kwired

Electron manager
For SPA's located at single family dwelling units, see 680.42(C). NM cable or any other method that includes a bare (but covered) equipment grounding conductor would be allowed to be run for the interior portion of the circuit.

For a "pool panel" you are stuck with other methods though.

James S.

A pool sub panel usually has an underwater light (wet niche luminaire) run from it. 120 volts underwater, and chest height of a person holding on to the edge, makes the CMP very nervous. They want you to be very careful with that ground.

That makes sense but wouldn't the GFCI be a better protection for some sort of short in the pool light?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
That makes sense but wouldn't the GFCI be a better protection for some sort of short in the pool light?
I suspect that historically the no-NM rule came into NEC before there were GFCIs. Also a good solid ground will remain operational longer than the typical GFCI receptacle. Not sure how good, by comparison GFCI breakers are.

Yes, and there's a #8 bond wire inside the niche and a bond wire on a lug on the outside surface of the niche. Each is there for a different catastrophic failure.

Besides, old GFCI receptacles used to fail and remain hot.

Last edited:

James S.

I suspect that historically the no-NM rule came into NEC before there were GFCIs. Also a good solid ground will remain operational longer than the typical GFCI receptacle. Not sure how good, by comparison GFCI breakers are.

Yes, and there's a #8 bond wire inside the niche and a bond wire on a lug on the outside surface of the niche. Each is there for a different catastrophic failure.

Besides, old GFCI receptacles used to fail and remain hot.

Ah, makes sense. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.