bonding metal raceway with unfused service wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
can anyone point me in the right direction where to look in code book where it talks about bonding metal raceway with unfused service wires thanks

I would start at 250.4(A)(2)&(3)

I am not sure there is anything specific to service conductor raceways

thank you for the quick reply do you know what is the bigger issue the fact that the wires are unfused, I've always heard about it but in searching I can not find any information on it however we can use metal raceway as a ground correct? or is 250.96 requiring to install bonding bushing if no ground conductor is installed...anyways not disputing fact of bonding raceway for unfused wire just wondering the why

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Article 250.92(B) is for bonding at the service. Part V of 250 is all about bonding.

You never pull an equipment ground in a service raceway but you must bond the metallic raceway of a service using bonding bushings or the like

hurk27

sorry it didn't go through last time so you don't think there is anything specific about unfused wires its more just what we know the code to be

It's more about making sure the fault path is maintained in the event of a fault, the current of a fault can far exceed the connections of conduit and cause these connections to fail in a violant way, I idea it to force the ungrounded conductors to hopefully burn free outside of the house.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.