Mounting Receptacle on Round Column

Status
Not open for further replies.

flengineer

I need to mount receptacles in round concrete columns (interior and exterior damp location). The diameter of the columns is such that there will be 1/8" gap between the ends of the coverplate and the column. Does anyone know of a coverplate with a gasket or other device that can bridge the gap so the cover is installed "flush". Additionally, this is in an aesthetically sensitive area that will be see a lot of exposure to the public. We don't want any edges that could be used to break the cover.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is it possible to incorporate a small flat spot around the outlet box a little larger than a cover? This could be done prior to the pour.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I go with what Rob said. If the columns are already in place, I think it's going to be tough.
Blue sky ideas (MacGyver style):
Use a mud ring or extension bent to match the column curve and then sanded flat on the surface that meets the cover plate?
Actually, a box extension might fit tightly to the box if it there is enough clearance and then provide a flat surface for the cover plate. The whole thing would just stick out farther from the column.
Last wacky idea: A wiremold type surface mount box ground on the back to fit the curve of the column.
For aesthetics, on the other hand, just a separate chunk of weather stripping type foam cut to fit and then painted grey to match the concrete.
I doubt that you will find an integrated assembly with that kind of gasket.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would go with a flat area or even a partial recess in the pour especially with a damp use cover on the exterior locations.

growler

I need to mount receptacles in round concrete columns (interior and exterior damp location). The diameter of the columns is such that there will be 1/8" gap between the ends of the coverplate and the column. Does anyone know of a coverplate with a gasket or other device that can bridge the gap so the cover is installed "flush".

The covers for a damp location come wih a gasket and the ones I use may be gray in color so I would just use gray calk to match. 1/8" isn't much and I can do a calk job that will look good ( so long as the color matches the cover or the column). Yes a thin line of calk behind the black gasket material and wipe off the excess.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The covers for a damp location come wih a gasket and the ones I use may be gray in color so I would just use gray calk to match. 1/8" isn't much and I can do a calk job that will look good ( so long as the color matches the cover or the column). Yes a thin line of calk behind the black gasket material and wipe off the excess.

I agree that using some caulk on a small 1/8 gap might work but is this really code compliant with a cover listed for a damp location?

cowboyjwc

Staff member

OK, I missed the 1/8" part and that could work. I might check with the AHJ before I got to crazy. As Rob suggested, they might not agree.

growler

OK, I missed the 1/8" part and that could work. I might check with the AHJ before I got to crazy. As Rob suggested, they might not agree.

After thinking about it a bit more an 1/8" is so small that maybe 2 of the regular box caskets ( extras are cheap to buy) would solve the problem. I would have to try it but I think they will compress enough in the middle so as to fill in the 1/8" gap at the edges.

I really want to use duct tape but that's because I'm a fan of the Red Green show.

James S.

After thinking about it a bit more an 1/8" is so small that maybe 2 of the regular box caskets ( extras are cheap to buy) would solve the problem. I would have to try it but I think they will compress enough in the middle so as to fill in the 1/8" gap at the edges.

I really want to use duct tape but that's because I'm a fan of the Red Green show.

It IS the handyman's secret weapon.

norcal

I took this picture at the Frankfurt (Germany) Airport on 9/12/11, a bit blurry of a cell phone pic but does show that the use of duct tape for a patch job is not limited to the US, or Canukistan.

Fliz

I agree that using some caulk on a small 1/8 gap might work but is this really code compliant with a cover listed for a damp location?

I'm just curious why it wouldn't. I've run into AHJs that won't accept a cover in a wet or damp location without caulk to make it sealed off from possible water. After all, stick a bubble or flip cover on some stucco and watter will seep through the texture do to the rough texture of the stucco (and other finishes).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm just curious why it wouldn't. I've run into AHJs that won't accept a cover in a wet or damp location without caulk to make it sealed off from possible water. After all, stick a bubble or flip cover on some stucco and watter will seep through the texture do to the rough texture of the stucco (and other finishes).

I see an issue where the cover is designed, tested and listed to be installed on a flat surface. If the surface is curved then it's NG. Also a listed cover used according to it's directions and in its proper location doesn't require caulk unless the manufacturer requires it.

kwired

Electron manager
I see an issue where the cover is designed, tested and listed to be installed on a flat surface. If the surface is curved then it's NG. Also a listed cover used according to it's directions and in its proper location doesn't require caulk unless the manufacturer requires it.
And that brings us back to a flat cover will not work on a round surface, now everyone go back to post 1 and start all over again:D

jusme123

Occupation
JW
can't you purchase a thicker style cover and use a drummel and file the curve into the cover, as stated its only an 1/8"

Status
Not open for further replies.