ladders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rewire

How often do you take ladders out of service? Our laddrs are outside year round on the racks and I was wondering what effect UV and weather mihght have on life span . Hidden defects that might cause failure are a concern has anyone read anything from manufacturers on expected life of an aveage fiberglass ladder? I want maximum bang for the buck but also dont want unsafe equipment.

Rewire

Apart from obvious damage which you are right common sense prevails but this does not address the issue of hidden damaged due to the hour and the age. Most items have a usable lifespan and tools are one item that we try and get maximum use from do to the expense of replacement. I have several ladders that have no apparent defect but are "old". I was thinking about setting a "sell by date" on my ladders .

John120/240

When you no longer feel safe working off of your ladder, then it is time to discard them. When they wobble, the fiberglass strands are splintering....you can tell. Don't sell them, don't discard them in the trash dumpster....Take your sawzall & cut them in half.

iwire

Staff member
When you no longer feel safe working off of your ladder, then it is time to discard them. When they wobble, the fiberglass strands are splintering....you can tell. Don't sell them, don't discard them in the trash dumpster....Take your sawzall & cut them in half.

Exactly and yes the company cuts them up and tosses them.

How often do you take ladders out of service? Our laddrs are outside year round on the racks and I was wondering what effect UV and weather mihght have on life span . Hidden defects that might cause failure are a concern has anyone read anything from manufacturers on expected life of an aveage fiberglass ladder? I want maximum bang for the buck but also dont want unsafe equipment.

UV stabilized firberglass gratings, structural members (Unistrut-type) and electrical enclosures have been available for a while now. Some have rated life of 25 years against UV damage. There are also restorative coating available that will restore the 'vailing' fiberglass on the surface and extend the UV protection. As stated by others, simple 'vailing' - the surface separation of fiberglass strands - do not necessarily indicate structural weakening, but left alone for years will eventually result in it.

So look for any indication if the ladder has UV protection when you buy it and use repair coating afterward or if it does not have any even when new.

Status
Not open for further replies.