430.6 (A) Exception 2 (PSC Motors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifty60

If I have a motor that I know is a Permanent Split Cap motor, does the nameplate actually have to say that it is a PSC for me to be able to use exception 430.6(A) Exception 2? Also, even if it is labeled PSC can I ignore exception 2 and just use the NEC motor tables?

fifty60

430.6(A) Exception 2: For equipment that employs a shaded pole or permanent split capacitor type fan or blower motor THAT IS MARKED WITH MOTOR TYPE, the full load current for such motor marked on the nameplate of the equipment in which the fan or blower motor is employed shall be used instead of the instead of the horsepower rating to determine the ampacity, branch circuit conductors, ocpd....This marking on the nameplate shall not be less than the current marked on the fan or blower motor nameplate.

Not sure what is going on here. I have a Condensing unit that has a condensor fan attached to it. It is a 1/6th HP fan with a nameplate that say 1.1A. I am pretty sure that it must be a PSC motor, or even a shaded pole motor. The NEC tables gives me 2.2A for such a motor (at 230V). Does this exception apply to my condensing unit?

fifty60

I have a condensing unit which consists of a compressor and a condenser fan motor. The compressor has an RLA marking and the fan motor also has an FLA marking. They are seperate, so I think that means I cannot use exception 2?

If there is a single nameplate that combines the 2 then I would use that, is that what exception 2 is trying to say?

Status
Not open for further replies.