A.Ought Nialox be applied to connections in Load Center located in an attached garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
B. Is Nialox conductive?
Application is neither required nor prohibited in non-corrosive environments... which is what I would consider most residential attached garages.

Voluntary application IMO, is not detrimental.

A quick look on Ideal's website did not reveal any conductivity information. My guess is that it is considered conductive, or you would be prohibited from using it in most all situations.

BTW, it's spelled Noalox... short for no aluminum oxide.

growler

You really have to be more specific. What connections in the load center are you talking about?

What type of conductors are you talking about?

If you are useing copper then forget about the NOALOX.

If you are useing Aluminum cable and getting the job inspected it's not a bad idea to use the NOALOX because even though it's probably not required many inspectors have just gotten so used to seeing it that they think it is. So to aviod problems just slap it on there and and no one will question it.

eHunter

B. Is Nialox conductive?

Yes. I believe it contains zinc.
http://www.idealindustries.com/media/pdfs/products/msds/noalox_anti-oxidant.pdf

Usage depends on the connector type and the conductor alloy.
Most older connectors and aluminum conductors benefit from the generous use of NoAlOx or a suitable oxide inhibitor.
Most newer connectors and aluminum conductors do not require the use of an oxide inhibitor.
There is no harm in using an oxide inhibitor on newer connectors an conductors.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
My guess is that it is considered conductive, or you would be prohibited from using it in most all situations.
But if it is conductive in bulk, it should carry a warning about not allowing it to get on the insulation of wires being treated or extend past the shielded area of wire nut, for example.
I suspect that it is non-conductive in bulk, but the individual suspended zinc particles make metal-to-metal contact when compressed between two metal surfaces. The carrier in which the particles are suspended (polybutene) is itself non-conductive.
Needs a closer analysis. Who has a tube and a voltmeter and Megger to experiment with?

Status
Not open for further replies.