Safety Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

JdoubleU

I want to install a 1 emergency shut off at the exit door to shut off for 4 boilers. My plan was to interupt the 24volt control wire that goes to each system. My question is is there any rule for wiring in a emergency stop.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
I want to install a 1 emergency shut off at the exit door to shut off for 4 boilers. My plan was to interupt the 24volt control wire that goes to each system. My question is is there any rule for wiring in a emergency stop.

By "rule", do you mean regulation, or design standard?

Two tings i can think of:
1. I always put it next to the door that accesses the quickest route to the airport.

2. There is an European standard, IEC 61508, that defines SIL 1 to SIL 4 (Safety Integrity Level). A lot of American industry is using that standard.

Neither of these is regulation.

ice

eHunter

I would suggest contacting the manufacturer and inquire about their recommended emergency shutdown practices, circuits and procedures for a safe e-shutdown.

By "rule", do you mean regulation, or design standard?

Two tings i can think of:
1. I always put it next to the door that accesses the quickest route to the airport.

2. There is an European standard, IEC 61508, that defines SIL 1 to SIL 4 (Safety Integrity Level). A lot of American industry is using that standard.

Neither of these is regulation.

ice

Actually ISA 84 is a US Standard that is pretty much accepted by the Chemical Process Industry as a de-facto mandatory Standard for Safety Instrumented Systems. I do not think it is written into any legislative document yet, but it is aimed at by the OSHA PSM Standard for handling hazardous chemicals. (In other words OSHA tells you, you must do something, but not specifically that you must follow ISA 84.)

http://www.isa.org/InTechTemplate.cfm?ContentID=89641&template=/ContentManagement/ContentDisplay.cfm

While burner control does not really falls under the OSHA PSM rules, thus evaluating it under the full authority of the ISA 84 would be somewhat of an overkill, it can help your thinking in designing in some safety features.

Status
Not open for further replies.