430.63 Motor Load and Other Loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifty60

430.63 reads as if it is giving you the MINIMUM size of an OCPD for you feeder. If you go to 430.62 it is giving you the MAXIMUM size for your feeder OCPD. 430.63 references 430.62. I do not understand how once can give you a maximum and one can give you a minimum. Am I not reading it correctly? I reverence an earlier forum discussion http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=53887 and it seems to say that 430.63 is giving you a maximum number.

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
430.63 reads as if it is giving you the MINIMUM size of an OCPD for you feeder. If you go to 430.62 it is giving you the MAXIMUM size for your feeder OCPD. 430.63 references 430.62. I do not understand how once can give you a maximum and one can give you a minimum. Am I not reading it correctly? I reverence an earlier forum discussion http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=53887 and it seems to say that 430.63 is giving you a maximum number.

imho... .62 deals strictly with the motor load and .63 deals with a motor and other loads. Its the other loads that cause the code book to address as minimum.

fifty60

So 63 is giving you the minimum number you can use? If I add the largest motor load OCPD plus the fla's of the other motors and the other loads and get....61A for example. Do I have to round up to 70A or can I use the 60A? Lookint at section 62 I would round down. Looking at section 63 am I forced to round up?

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
So 63 is giving you the minimum number you can use? If I add the largest motor load OCPD plus the fla's of the other motors and the other loads and get....61A for example. Do I have to round up to 70A or can I use the 60A? Lookint at section 62 I would round down. Looking at section 63 am I forced to round up?

whats the load?
If the load is only motors look at .62
if the load is motors and other loads combined, look at .63

fifty60

load is compressors and heaters. I am looking at .63 but cannot determine whether or not it is giving me a minimum or a maximum. Why would .62 give a maximum but .63 give a minimum?

Status
Not open for further replies.