time tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rewire

I am wanting to track my time along with what that time is being spent on. My goal is to see exactly what I spend my time doing and the amount of time devoted to each task. Armed with this information I could then determine how productive I am with my time. I could also see if some tasked would be better delegated to others and if I am spending alot of time on certain tasked would it benefit to outsource or hire someone to assume these tasks freeing my time for other things.

I was considering just a notebook to write down each hour what I was doing that day but I can see problems with that the main one being keeping track of the notebook as sometimes I am in my office and then in my van and then on a job. What would be great would be an app for my iphone because it is with me all day. So the question to those who know apps is their something that could be used for this?

chris1971

I am wanting to track my time along with what that time is being spent on. My goal is to see exactly what I spend my time doing and the amount of time devoted to each task. Armed with this information I could then determine how productive I am with my time. I could also see if some tasked would be better delegated to others and if I am spending alot of time on certain tasked would it benefit to outsource or hire someone to assume these tasks freeing my time for other things.

I was considering just a notebook to write down each hour what I was doing that day but I can see problems with that the main one being keeping track of the notebook as sometimes I am in my office and then in my van and then on a job. What would be great would be an app for my iphone because it is with me all day. So the question to those who know apps is their something that could be used for this?

Not sure if the iPhone has it or not but, maybe you could record a brief description of what your doing, how long you did it and what part of day you did it? I know the iPad has a notepad feature that might work well if you have an iPad.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I am willing to bet that lawyers and other outrageously paid hourly workers will have iPhone apps. But I bet they are not free Apps. :)

For just us folks, check out http://lifehacker.com/5853548/the-best-time-tracking-app-for-iphone

for the iphone, there is eternity.
if you are using the invoices2go set of apps, they have one that fits into invoices to go, to track stuff.
i don't use it, as i just add stuff directly into an invoice on my phone as it occurs....

but almost everything i do is flat rate, so i just make an invoice out of a quote when it's accepted,
and when it's done.... i just email it out of the phone.

so tracking time really isn't something i need to do with a separate app.

ceknight

I am wanting to track my time along with what that time is being spent on. My goal is to see exactly what I spend my time doing and the amount of time devoted to each task.

I've tried that a few times over the years. It doesn't work if you have Sole Proprietor Attention Deficit Disorder -- you know, start out fresh in the morning with good intentions, then 8 hours of reality later you're staring at your blank time log/app/whatever, trying to figure out where the day went. Data entry takes real time and discipline. Oops. :)

Volta

For my Andriod I've been happy with Time Recording by DynamicG. I use the free version, and it it packed with features, more than I use. Whenever I want/need I email that period's data to myself. Then I paste the full delimited text into a spreadsheet to parse out the fields.

To enter I simply press Out, then press In to start my next task with at least the job name, add detail as needed and then have a minimal record. Then when there is downtime, like waiting for a permit or similar I assign to a customer and project.

It is still work, but IMO much better than handwriting and typing in later. That would be a time killer. Best I've seen yet.

Rewire

For my Andriod I've been happy with Time Recording by DynamicG. I use the free version, and it it packed with features, more than I use. Whenever I want/need I email that period's data to myself. Then I paste the full delimited text into a spreadsheet to parse out the fields.

To enter I simply press Out, then press In to start my next task with at least the job name, add detail as needed and then have a minimal record. Then when there is downtime, like waiting for a permit or similar I assign to a customer and project.

It is still work, but IMO much better than handwriting and typing in later. That would be a time killer. Best I've seen yet.

will it work on an iphone? Im not tech savy they have dragged me kivking and screaming into the 22nd century.

Status
Not open for further replies.