13 kv transformer Disconnect swtich contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

dipvpatel

• Disconnect switch contact pivot mechanism is degraded resulting in incomplete closure of the main switch contacts during the closing cycle. Is's open normally but when you close the contact we need to manually push the contact.Is it safe and how reliable is this?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
  • Disconnect switch contact pivot mechanism is degraded resulting in incomplete closure of the main switch contacts during the closing cycle. Is's open normally but when you close the contact we need to manually push the contact.Is it safe and how reliable is this?
Not that it affects the safety or wisdom of the action, but is this on the POCO (NESC) or customer (NEC) side of the service point?

Depending on arc flash evaluation, it may not even be safe/allowed to have the disconnect open so that you can push the contact closed manually. Similarly, what is happening in terms of the connected loads and the switch contacts during the time between lever activation and push?
Safety ~=0
Reliability = 0.

templdl

Look as if you need a new load interrupter (LI) switch. You did want to mess around with 13kv at all. Does yours have fuses also?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Manually, as in you are doing this with the door open and someone is sticking something in there to complete the closing process?????

Even with a 10 ft pole, this is INCREDIBLY UNSAFE!!!! STOP IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!

And then, needless to say (although, I guess we needed to say it?), any switch that is not closing completely, is completely unreliable.

With all that said, the fact that you had to ask this question means you are totally unqualified to be performing this task, nor any other task involving 13.8kV. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm trying to save your life. This is NOT like working on your household voltage, or even like working on 480V. 13.8kV will jump LONG distances on a "seek and destroy" mission.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

I guess it is time to haul out this video again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bBvmPRqfmo

zog

Common issue with these switches, they require regular maintenance and if they are neglected this is what happens. We rebuild these all the time, in fact I have 2 in my shop right now we are rebuilding. FPE 15kV type LI.

Post your nameplate info and perhaps I can give you some guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.