Disposal Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Is directly connecting a garbage disposal with NM cable code compliant?

The NM cable is exposed under the cabinet between the wall and disposal.

dhalleron

It's done like that often in my area. It depends on whether or not your inspector sees the romex as subject to damage.

Some disposals are designed to install a using a cord and plug. Many will argue that if the disposal is not listed to be cord connected, then you can't connect it that way.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Why not terminate it in a handy box and use a flexable cord and plug?

It is a existing disposer (in my house), and that's the way it was connected when the house was built. I was basically just wondering if it was installed per code to start with. I have found other code violations in my house.

I have to replace the disposal because it used to refuse to start sometimes, and now it trips a breaker every time I try to use it.

I think the flexible cord and plug would be a much better way to connect it.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
It's done like that often in my area. It depends on whether or not your inspector sees the romex as subject to damage.

Some disposals are designed to install a using a cord and plug. Many will argue that if the disposal is not listed to be cord connected, then you can't connect it that way.

It sounds like no matter how you install a disposal, there is a chance the inspector will red flag it.

iand74

It is a existing disposer (in my house), and that's the way it was connected when the house was built. I was basically just wondering if it was installed per code to start with. I have found other code violations in my house.

I have to replace the disposal because it used to refuse to start sometimes, and now it trips a breaker every time I try to use it.

Make sure you try to turn the motor before you replace it. It may just be bound up. There is an allen key head on the bottom of the unit that needs to be turned sometimes.

iwire

Staff member

It was almost universally done that way in my area. I did tons of them like that in the 80s.

Now I think more guys are going the cord and plug route.

James S.

I have seen them like that and assumed it was a violation. I personally like the idea of being able to unplug it as a form of disconnect.

kwired

Electron manager
I have seen them like that and assumed it was a violation. I personally like the idea of being able to unplug it as a form of disconnect.

It does simplify rules involving disconnecting means. Any unit permanently connected with any type of wiring method will have similar disconnecting means issues.

Biggest issues with using NM cable is proper securing/supporting of the cable, and determining whether or not it is subject to physical damage, otherwise there is nothing prohibiting using NM cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.