Angled Device Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have a client who wants some duplex receptacles installed under a bar for customers to be able to charge their cell phones/tablets while they drink. The quirk is that he wants the receptacles installed at an angle, so I'm looking for either a surface-mount box or a box extension that fits the bill (pardon my Kindergartener-like attempt to draw):
SKMBT_C25013060715580.jpg

The box can be upright, as it is in the sketch, or it can be laying down. Is anyone familiar with a box like this? I've searched through some online product catalogs, but so far I haven't found anything. If you can point me to a manufacturer/model number, I'd be most grateful.

Attachments

• SKMBT_C25013060715580.jpg
    SKMBT_C25013060715580.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 0

cpinetree

Likely the best option.

why not custom make some corbels that you can recess an outlet box into? there's also the option of angle plug mold.

Maybe this will help?

Here is a link to a combo LV + HV box with an angled recpt, not exactly what you are looking for but maybe will be useful.
http://www.garvinindustries.com/electrical-junction-boxes/dual-power-media-boxes-wallplates/in-wall-dual-power-media-boxes/dpbosdup

They also make a pop up receptacle, usually used as a floor receptacle installed in a 4 square box:
http://www.garvinindustries.com/electrical-junction-boxes/floor-boxes/20-amp-decorative-gfci-devices

Still the easiest thing will be get with the trim carpenter to make what you want to insert your box into.

A shim (at whatever angle you desire) behind your surface mounted box would do the trick in a pinch. Probably not very appealing to the eye even afterstained/painted. As others have said, working in conjunction with a good finish carpenter is probably your best bet.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Is this going to be on the customer side of the bar? If so look into the 120 volt/ USB outlets that several manufactures offer.

That's actually exactly what we're planning to use - a duplex receptacle with 2 usb ports. This is on the customer side of the bar.

drspec, I have to admit I had to look up corbels - you made me learn something new today, thanks. I'd prefer to have an angled piece built into the millwork so we can flush mount the receptacles anyway. Maybe if I tell the Architect that nobody makes the surface box he wants, he'll reconsider altering the millwork design.

Thanks for the suggestions.

iwire

Staff member
I have a client who wants some duplex receptacles installed under a bar for customers to be able to charge their cell phones/tablets while they drink.

That is funny, I was sitting at a bar yesterday afternoon which is something I have done maybe a dozen times in my whole life and I was thinking how handy it would be to have USB outlets for charging. I was using my droid while waiting for friends and could have used a charge.

kwired

Electron manager
Maybe if I tell the Architect that nobody makes the surface box he wants, he'll reconsider altering the millwork design.

Maybe if the Architect did his job he would either specify a particular model or specify the millwork design:happyyes:

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Can someone just build a box and you install a box with the device?

Sorry, Dennis, I don't quite understand what you're asking. I can't use a custom device box, if that's what you're saying, since getting it listed would be prohibitively expensive (not to mention take forever). Installing the device box inside a custom wooden box attached under the bar might be an option, though. Thanks.

kwired

Electron manager
Sorry, Dennis, I don't quite understand what you're asking. I can't use a custom device box, if that's what you're saying, since getting it listed would be prohibitively expensive (not to mention take forever). Installing the device box inside a custom wooden box attached under the bar might be an option, though. Thanks.
I think he was referring to having millworkers build box in which you will set a listed device box.

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Maybe if the Architect did his job he would either specify a particular model or specify the millwork design:happyyes:

Yeah... I'm used to having to do parts of this architect's job for him. Maybe I'm just empowering him...

Status
Not open for further replies.