Submittals

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

If a spec reads "must use Caddy H*** box support for all receptacles" does that mean that, more than likely, is the only box support the engineer would approve? Do you still try to submit something else for approval?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
IMO the engineer or whomever should not spec a specific product except for lighting. It will usually say "or equal"

JDBrown

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If the drawings/specs call for a specific part number, and they don't say "or equal", I usually don't approve anything else. Then again, that's because I'm typically dealing with airport authorities who have very strict standards that they paid somebody a lot of money to come up with. They're liable to make the Electrician rip it out and "correct" it, even if I did approve it.

You might be able to submit a substitution request, although some engineers charge for that so it might be cost-prohibitive.

All that being said, I've never given a specific manufacturer/model number for something like box supports. That seems like something the Electrician ought to be able to decide upon based on field conditions.

It really all comes down to who the engineer and the customer are, and what sort of relationship you have with them. I'm much more likely to give leeway (as far as I'm allowed by the customer) to an Electrician I've worked with before and had good experiences with, than somebody new.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The way I see it is, if a certain item with "No Substitution" is specified, all bidders will be on the same playing field so it wouldn't matter to me. After the project is awarded the winner could then ask if they could submit an alternate item for consideration.

Roger

Last edited:

jumper

The way I see it is, if a certain item with "No Substitution" is specified, all bidders will be on the same playing field so it wouldn't matter to me. After the project is awarded the winner could then ask if they could submit an alternate item for consideration.

Roger

We do defense contracts and every single part is speced out, no substitutions without prior authorization.

Very few "or equals".

And typical of the Armed Forces and most XXX Agencies, none of them want to use any one standard/type/brand/etc for their equipment.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
We do defense contracts and every single part is speced out, no substitutions without prior authorization.

Very few "or equals".

And typical of the Armed Forces and most XXX Agencies, none of them want to use any one standard/type/brand/etc for their equipment.
So if one agency transfers a building to another agency does it have to be rewired? :ashamed1:

Status
Not open for further replies.