Cable Tray wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

C2J

I am running a 2 small cable trays under converers for a plant that bottles beer.I want to use this tray for wiring the motors and or control circuits on the convarers, the motors are 480 volts with loads at a maxium of 5 amps the control circuit is 24 volts .Can use the tray for both circuits? I would use wiring rated for cable tray.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have never used cable tray but I suspect they make a divider for it. Anyway look at 300.3(C) and 725.136(A). It will depend on what class wiring the 24V conductors are and the insulation must be as high as the highest voltage cable in the system.

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Assuming that the power conductors are in tray cable there is no code requirement for separation from the control cables.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Assuming that the power conductors are in tray cable there is no code requirement for separation from the control cables.

So why would a cable tray be exempt if individual wires & 24V wires are running together-- how is that different. I understand it is not a raceway however it seems the same problems could occur.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
So why would a cable tray be exempt if individual wires & 24V wires are running together-- how is that different. I understand it is not a raceway however it seems the same problems could occur.
I didn't say you could run it with individual power conductors, I said you could run it without separtation if the power conductors are in a tray cable. Given the desciption of the installation, it is unlikely that the power conductors are individual wires as the smallest individual wire permitted in a tray is 1/0.

It doesn't have anything to do with the fact that this is a cable tray installion, my comment would also apply to a raceway and it is because the rule in 725.136(A) specifies separation from power conductors, not from power cables.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I didn't say you could run it with individual power conductors, I said you could run it without separtation if the power conductors are in a tray cable. Given the desciption of the installation, it is unlikely that the power conductors are individual wires as the smallest individual wire permitted in a tray is 1/0.

It doesn't have anything to do with the fact that this is a cable tray installion, my comment would also apply to a raceway and it is because the rule in 725.136(A) specifies separation from power conductors, not from power cables.

I got you. I misunderstood your point

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems

What's the diff between a power conductor and a power cable?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
What's the diff between a power conductor and a power cable?
One is a cable with the conductors inside while the other is a stand alone conductor. I see it similar to NM cable vs Thhn conductors. Of course those are not the cables you would see in a tray

Status
Not open for further replies.