Service Relocation

Status
Not open for further replies.

James S.

I am getting ready to relocate a service but have run into something that is confusing me and I was wondering if you guys could help clear them up.

The utility is requiring a 200 amp all-in-one panel. I was planning on mounting the new panel and then just adding a breaker and feed wires to the old panel and using it as a sub panel. I figured that would be the cheapest and easiest way to go and would be fine so long as I isolated the grounds and neutrals at the sub. The problem that I am having is that the existing service is underground direct burial 1/0 al wire. (I didn't know they did that here but ok)

How can the utility require a 200 amp main if it is only fed by 1/0 al? Or am I missing something?

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I am getting ready to relocate a service but have run into something that is confusing me and I was wondering if you guys could help clear them up.

The utility is requiring a 200 amp all-in-one panel. I was planning on mounting the new panel and then just adding a breaker and feed wires to the old panel and using it as a sub panel. I figured that would be the cheapest and easiest way to go and would be fine so long as I isolated the grounds and neutrals at the sub. The problem that I am having is that the existing service is underground direct burial 1/0 al wire. (I didn't know they did that here but ok)

How can the utility require a 200 amp main if it is only fed by 1/0 al? Or am I missing something?

I don't think you really gave us enough information, but some things...

If your existing panel is a main lug only, as long as the new breaker in you 200A all in one is sized no larger than the sub panel or the feeders you don't need a breaker, but if the neutrals and grounds are currently together, then how are you going to get separate neutral and ground wires feeding this sub panel? Regarding the incoming aluminum size. Not your problem. These conductors aren't covered by, or sized by the National Electrical Code. I have seen the utility Company feed a 2000A school service with 3 parallel 750 AL

James S.

I don't think you really gave us enough information, but some things...

If your existing panel is a main lug only, as long as the new breaker in you 200A all in one is sized no larger than the sub panel or the feeders you don't need a breaker, but if the neutrals and grounds are currently together, then how are you going to get separate neutral and ground wires feeding this sub panel? Regarding the incoming aluminum size. Not your problem. These conductors aren't covered by, or sized by the National Electrical Code. I have seen the utility Company feed a 2000A school service with 3 parallel 750 AL

The existing panel is a main lug and is rated up to 225 amps. I am going to run new feeders from the new main to the sub complete with neutral and ground.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
The existing panel is a main lug and is rated up to 225 amps. I am going to run new feeders from the new main to the sub complete with neutral and ground.

Then you don't need a breaker in that panel, which I think is what you said you were doing. Don't worry about the incoming feeder size per se. The power company is more concerned with your actual usage than the service size. If you have voltage drop problems, like dimming lights then you will probably have to.

James S.

Then you don't need a breaker in that panel, which I think is what you said you were doing. Don't worry about the incoming feeder size per se. The power company is more concerned with your actual usage than the service size. If you have voltage drop problems, like dimming lights then you will probably have to.

Yeah, the whole thing seems really cut and dry but I cannot shake the feeling that I am overlooking something.

Thanks

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Very rarely does the utility here ever change the service drop, no matter what you upgrade to. Once in awhile if it's the old three single conductors, they may change it out to tri-plex.

robbietan

Very rarely does the utility here ever change the service drop, no matter what you upgrade to. Once in awhile if it's the old three single conductors, they may change it out to tri-plex.

when the utility here changes the service drop, they change the supply contract to a higher level.

Interesting that the utility sets the amp rating requirement of your meter/main. Never heard of that before. Usually that is determined by the dwelling/building load.

Agree, I always thought that it seemed odd that I need to run significantly larger wiring for a 200 amp service than the #2 POCO provides from the transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.