GFCI Protection of Non-GFCI Receptacles, Identification?

Status
Not open for further replies.

construct

In the 2011 NEC, I can't seem to find the section requiring labels or marking for GFCI protected receptacles that are not GFCI receptacles. Any help would be great! Thanks.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Not sure I understand the question. Are you talking about replacing a non-grounded receptacle (with no ground wire available) with a GFCI, and using the GFCI to protect other receptacles further downstream? If so, then rcarroll has your answer. Are you instead talking about an area (like a kitchen counter) that requires GFCI, and you put one GFCI and use it to protect other receptacles on the same counter space? If so, then there is no requirement to label the downstream receptacles to state that they are protected by something upstream.

construct

Are you instead talking about an area (like a kitchen counter) that requires GFCI, and you put one GFCI and use it to protect other receptacles on the same counter space? If so, then there is no requirement to label the downstream receptacles to state that they are protected by something upstream.

Yes....downstream receptacles protected from the load side of GFCI receptacles is what I'm referring to. I was almost positive it was required in a previous code cycle to have them labeled. :?

Last edited:

raider1

Staff member
Yes....downstream receptacles protected from the load side of GFCI receptacles is what I'm referring to. I was almost positive it was required in a previous code cycle to have them labeled. :?

Nope not required unless you are replacing a non-grounding type of receptacle with a GFCI protected 3 wire receptacle (406.4(D)(2)(c))

I have heard of inspectors requiring marking GFCI protected receptacles because the GFCI came with stickers but this has never been a code requirement.

Chris

James S.

Nope not required unless you are replacing a non-grounding type of receptacle with a GFCI protected 3 wire receptacle (406.4(D)(2)(c))

I have heard of inspectors requiring marking GFCI protected receptacles because the GFCI came with stickers but this has never been a code requirement.

Chris

For years I thought this was an electrical code. I cannot tell you the number of inspections I have failed because of the missing stickers. :slaphead:

I love this place. I learn something new every day.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For years I thought this was an electrical code. I cannot tell you the number of inspections I have failed because of the missing stickers. :slaphead:

That's one reason why you should ask for a code reference for a violation that may be questionable.

Just say "can I have a code reference for that so when I get home I can look it up".;)

James S.

That's one reason why you should ask for a code reference for a violation that may be questionable.

Just say "can I have a code reference for that so when I get home I can look it up".;)

I have done that before. However, given the complication of putting a sticker on an outlet plate vs. the chance to piss off the inspector that inspects all my houses in a given community I chose to just put the sticker on.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have done that before. However, given the complication of putting a sticker on an outlet plate vs. the chance to piss off the inspector that inspects all my houses in a given community I chose to just put the sticker on.
Don't forget that if the manufacturer's instructions tell you to use the stickers, the NEC will enforce that. :angel:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Don't forget that if the manufacturer's instructions tell you to use the stickers, the NEC will enforce that.
I disagree. We don't have to follow what the manufacturer tells us, unless that instruction is included in the listing. Of course, if all we have is the paperwork that came in the box, it is a bit tricky to discover what was, and what was not, included in the listing.

Status
Not open for further replies.