Who is responsible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benton

I am on a job re-doing a service. The customer had to redo the service based on the inspector failing the occupancy inspection. The inspector made a list for each trade and what he expects to be fixed. His list didn't include for me, as the electrician, anything regarding the AC system. The AC is guy saying that I have to provide the whip for the new condenser unit he's installing and that I have to wire it up. I told him that I will Wire up the disconnect line and load side but that he has to wire of the unit itself. He claims that he doesn't have to do it. Who would you say is responsible for wiring up the condenser unit and providing the whip?

Rewire

I am on a job re-doing a service. The customer had to redo the service based on the inspector failing the occupancy inspection. The inspector made a list for each trade and what he expects to be fixed. His list didn't include for me, as the electrician, anything regarding the AC system. The AC is guy saying that I have to provide the whip for the new condenser unit he's installing and that I have to wire it up. I told him that I will Wire up the disconnect line and load side but that he has to wire of the unit itself. He claims that he doesn't have to do it. Who would you say is responsible for wiring up the condenser unit and providing the whip?

If they want to pay me to connect the unit I will. If I have bid to connect the unit I will. Responsibility should be determined by what you agreed to in your scope of work. I am only responsible to do what I agreed upon.

ceb58

In NC it comes down to license. A HVAC contractor can get a special license to connect from the disconnect to the unit. If they do not have that then it's up to the elect. to do it and charge accordingly.

iwire

Staff member
Where I am only a licensed electrician can do wiring. So even if the work is in the HVAC mans contract they would have to hire an electrician to do the work.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I wire unit if it is there before my other work is finished, don't think I should make extra trip to accomondate HVAC guy lack of schedule. I have left connector on wild end of sealtight for HVAC, come back and he's thrown connector away and pushed sealtite through hole without connector, more than once. I'd rather just hook it up than redo or argue.

GUNNING

Follow the money.

Follow the money.

Whoever writes the check, ask them. The inspector cares that the work is getting done right. Who is running the job? Who is paying?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

hm. a home dipsnit 3/4" sealtight hook up whip set with fittings is $9.
so, i'm in $9, plus 18' of #6, or thereabouts.

so, $20 and 10~15 minutes of my time. if that is a make or break part
of my profit equation, i'd change my question to.... how do i bid so i don't
annoy everyone nickel and diming them.

Rewire

Most of us dont drive down the road tossing twentys out the window. He was on a job working on the service why would he give away work on the AC system?

growler

I doesn't cost much to install a whip for an AC condensor but that was not the question.

In this area many HVAC contractors do provide their own whips and do their own hook-up.They are legally allowed to do so and I would guess that they do charge extra for this little amount of work.

I would prefer it if the hook up was done by an electrician but that's just not how things work (not here). When they run a section of Romex through sealtight without connectors it's not my responsibility or even my concern because I'm not being paid to do it.

I don't follow the cable guy around fixing his work either.

Status
Not open for further replies.