Seeking a 4-11/16 box without knockouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1ist

Occupation
Principal Electrical Engineer
I have some light dimmers that mount as the cover to a 4-11/16 box. I am building a lab test fixture for these, and am having a lot of trouble finding a 4-11/16" box that doesn't have knockouts as our safety person won't allow one with KO's for OSHA reasons. Either a bell box or PVC box would be fine; I have looked at Bell and Carlon without any luck. Does such a critter exist? I am trying to avoid having to build a stud-and-sheetrock wall to hold one dimmer and a lamp holder for this test. Ironically, the safety person would allow having the dimmer just sitting on the bench with flying leads and Wago clips, but I'd feel safer putting it in an enclosure...

/mike

n1ist

Occupation
Principal Electrical Engineer
Carlon E9802 is a double-gang box; the cover screws are not in the same position as on a 4-11/16.

As for the OSHA question, she views this the same as if it was an extension cord; no KO on any box not mounted permanently to the building. This would be an aluminum plate with the dimmer and loads mounted to it, with a power cord feeding it, sitting on a lab bench.

Others here have just used Bud boxes and mounted the devices to them; I guess I will go that route.

/mike

kwired

Electron manager
Garvin catalog has one in it 72171-BLNK is the catalog number. I would guess most major box manufacturers probably have one but it may not be all that common for a supply house to carry them.

kwired

Electron manager
While your drilling for your lug, here is a uni-bit, hold that thing with your foot and give me a 1" KO in the side.
4-11/16 box is starting to get large enough that it isn't just too difficult to hold on to.

If you have a "C frame" punch driver putting a hole in a side wall is not much of a problem. But I don't have one so I guess I'm drilling a hole no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.