Arc Fault For Knob and Tube Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Hello,

I service an old church that has knob and tube wiring. If I were to replace the fuses with Arc-Fault breakers would the breakers hold?

Thank You,

AFCI protection is only required for dwellings.

Why would you want to put them in a church unless it has provisions that meet the requirements for a dwelling? But even then I don't think they are required.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
In my experience they do not. Back in the day they didn't keep the neutrals separate very well, so they'll trip
If the AFCI breaker also incorporates GFCI....

Why would you want to put them in a church unless it has provisions that meet the requirements for a dwelling? But even then I don't think they are required.

Maybe for the same reason we put GFCI receptacles on two wire circuits, to increase safety whether required or not?

Ravenvalor

AFCI Chruch

AFCI Chruch

AFCI protection is only required for dwellings.

They are just trying to keep the old building safe. I took the panels off and determined that they have 1940's BX Greenfield cable and not knob and tube. In my opinion old bX is more dangerous than knob and tube.

Thank you,

czars

Czars
Occupation
Florida Certified Electrical Contractor
As a note, I heard the other day, at a seminar, that some AFCI breaker manufacturers have removed the 30ma GFCI detection capability because they no longer need it to meet the requirements for AFCI breakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.